RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While visiting my dealership the other day for service, my service adviser instructed me to ALWAYS put the rig in access mode when leaving the car parked for more than just a few hours to protect the bags from wearing out. I can't seem to find this in the manual and would think this would pre-maturely wear the compressors. He even ventured to remind me that the 2nd gen RRS do this automatically by a setting.

Thoughts?

-S

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Nah, don't worry about it. It's true that the new Sport can automatically lower (partially) when parking if you enable that feature in the settings, but it is done solely for convenience and ease of entry and exit, not so that the airbags will last longer. If anything, the opposite is true: while your airbag may not be affected much either way, your air compressor will work more to lift the car back up each time, and could wear out prematurely as a resulr.

Leave the suspensions in normal height, lower them only if you need to, for easier access, to clear low overhead garages, and so on. Only way to relieve those bags of stress would be to deflate them completely into "Transit Mode" (car sits on the bump stops), but that's just not practical or even possible without special diagnostic tools, and would only make sense for long-term storage, not parking overnight or even for a week or two.

It's a good idea to "exercise" the EAS every now and then, but every time you park? That's overkill and can do more harm than good in the long run IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I recommend using access mode, but not every time you park, especially for short trips of it being off.

If the compressor is in good shape, this will help the springs, as it changes the fold point in the rubber, although this is not too much of an issue on the L320, more so on the L322.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys - I noticed that when I leave it in Normal Ride Height for more than a few days and it just sits parked in the same spot the front end will drop an inch or so and re-inflate when I turn on the car again. I asked the dealer and a british auto repair place to check for leaks and they couldn't find anything. Is this normal?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Yes, small downward adjustments over time (as the car "wakes up" and levels automatically every few hours after you park it and turn off the engine) are fairly normal. Unless you find her on the bump stops or severely "listing" on one side, a drop of an inch or so (front, rear, or both) over several days is nothing to worry about, especially if your car is not perfectly level after parking it - it almost never is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Umbertob- I have a 06 RRS L320 along with a IIDtool... This "feature" you mentioned about lowering the suspension automatically is this something that can be turned on witht he IIDtool?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts