RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys,

Complete newbie here. Just brought my first 4x4 this morning. A R reg P38 SE automatic with LPG fitted.

Driving it home i noticed that there was about an inch of travel on the accelerator pedal before anything happened. Is this usual?

Is it a simple fix? replace the cable or something.

Also i seem to be under powered (or so i think) i was doing 70 mph on the motorway and my foot was almost to the floor. Now im not expecting porche like performance but this strikes me as a little under powered.

Now i have never driven a 4x4 before and have no way of knowing if this is a usual occurrence or not.

Cheers

Frosty :?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Check the accelerator cable adjustment.
Once adjusted correctly there will still be a fair amount of movement to achieve a vehicle response.
I was once told this is because when driving offroad over irregular terrrain it is too prevent small terrain induced accelerator movements(ie your foot moving on the pedal) causing sudden large power increases. :think:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had the very same issue with mine, also an R reg. At some point in its history the ajustment screw has been damaged and now my ajustment is partially held by a cable tie, obviously a quick fix by a garage or dealership.

It's basically a case of screwing the throttle cable tighter untill there is very little slack in the cable, it's also worth noting that you will loose the kick down because the throttle cable does not move enough to trigger it. If your traveling at 70 with your foot flat to the floor and not gaining any speed then I would say your kickdown is not triggering.

I'll snap a couple of quick pictures when I venture out this evening to show where the ajustment is. Not that it's hard to find, its a little plastic thing around the throttle cable cliped into a bracket on top of the engine, to the right hand side at the back of the engine. The cruse control cable runs alongside it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tango many thanks for the reply. i was hoping it would be an easy fix. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

ill let you know how i get on.

frosty `)

·
Registered
269 Posts

The ajusting screw is below and to the right of the gearbox dip stick handle. You can see mine is sort of held in tension with a cable tie. Hopfully yours is in better condition. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Is your engine purple too?

Is it just your car, or do you have a plethora of purple elsewhere in your life? House? Suit? (you know you have a purple suit) Dog?

C'mon man... admit it. The first step is admitting it.

"Hi. My name is Tango. I haven't bought or painted anything purple in 8 days."

`)

·
Registered
541 Posts
NachoMan77 said:
Holy mother of god !

you have a purple engine as well ?!?!?!?

:shock:

N.
Ha! KMags and Nacho - I had the exact same thought when I saw the pic.

Hey, they guy likes his purple I guess, to each his own.

Good thing you are in the UK Tango, you'd get "Barney" and "Grimace" comments hurled at you constantly over here in the US. Maybe you could get a Royal Purple sponsorship.....

My Rangie seems to prefer "Dirt" as it's most prominent color.

But anyway, frosty I'd suggest you make adjustments in small increments and see how it goes, you don't want to overtighten the cable. You are right the truck isn't "fast" but even my 4.0 with over 150k on the clock will easily find 70mph and the occasional blast up to 90mph+ can be had without much drama. Let us know how it goes and if this cures your ills.

Congrat's on the new ride!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I found on my Truck the Cable needs to be Adjusted quite Precise to get a nice smooth Gearshift as stated in the in the Note.

Cheers

·
Registered
269 Posts
:mrgreen:

Problem? What problem? There's no problem! You've got a problem! No one understands me!

:: wonders off into the woods muttering indistinctly ::

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
LOl.... purple coolant. That's effing priceless. :clap:

I'll give you this...your rig is probably one of the top 5 cleanest ones on here, purple or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
suppose we should be grateful he's not into 'Beige' as per Billy Connelly - Comedian
but 'jesus wept' purple screen washer liquid . tis a very neat unit tho.

...........tasi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts