RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having this intermit issue upon accleration, it happens on the highway at speed and from a stop light.

When slightly hard accelerating there is hesitation and shuddering, it appears to be coming from the transmission, but I could be wrong. Feels like something is holding back then eventually lets go. Last week the Service Engine light flashed quickly, but no error message.

This has happened before when I had a coolant leak at the Belly Flashing, the SA told me the lack of proper coolant flow was causing the issue, this was fixed and the problem went away for a while. I have checked all over for coolant leaks with a flashlight over and under car and cannot find one, and level has not changed.

Before I go back to dealer, I wanted thoughts from the board. I have not had the 60k service completed yet, maybe needs trans oil changed? I am also thinking bad spark plugs, clogged catalytic convertor, actual transmission problems.

Thanks
Marc

'04 HSE
62k miles

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Shuddering and a flashing MIL sometimes points to the coil packs. The valve cover gaskets often leak, and then oil fills the spark plug well where it interferes with the contact between the plug and coil. I would check this initially before stressing too much.

I used to have a very similar problem to you if i parked facing downhill, the oil obviously pooled in the wrong place and the car would shudder and the MIL light would flash, but after checking for fault codes, none were stored. After 30 seconds of driving the oil drained away and it ran fine...

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had to bring truck for driver front EAS replacement (ex warranty work), I mentioned again for the 3rd time about acceleration/transmission issue. Advised Service Lite blinked a few times, of course no codes anywhere. I took tech for road test, LUCKILY I was able to duplicate problem without service lite. When we arrived back at dealership, he explained situation to service assistant, just from body language of 2 other service assistants, I think they have experienced the issue before. Now dealership would like to have shop manager take a road test next week.

Will keep post updated.

Marc

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally was able to schedule ride-a-long with service shop manager last week. I was able to duplicate problem several times and he acknowledged something is not right. He is going to do a complete diagnostic on transmission, temp, coolant hose, etc etc.

Received call from service advisor today. "...There is a problem, but they do not know what to fix, will need to wait and see, maybe next time the service engine light will stay on and create an error code..." Not what I wanted hear. They will fully document issue in the event the ext warranty expires before repairs are made.

Should I ask them to take transmission apart or do anything else before I pick up the truck? I bought the truck new in '04 and only have 64k miles on the clock, I have only towed with it twice and those were small U-Haul trailers.

Any comments, advice, words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

That 2010 Touareg TDi I drove last week is looking really nice right about now.

Marc

·
Registered
148 Posts
Trans sounds like it is having issues, but that is usually accompanied by "TRANS FAILSAFE" error on dash. It could be coming.

The "lifetime" fluid in these transmissions (I am convinced) should be changed at about 60k miles, so I would say change it and service the trans and see if that helps.

I replaced my trans at 86k miles. Bought it from A-1 Transmission in Phoenix - GREAT guys and FAR FAR less expensive than the Stealer.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Possible vacuum leak in the Crank Case breather system?

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
jdholder said:
The "lifetime" fluid in these transmissions (I am convinced) should be changed at about 60k miles, so I would say change it and service the trans and see if that helps.
Yup, 60k is well doccumented all over this site....

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer suggested I have the transmission replaced. They went to the Ext Warranty folks, but they denied the claim, there are no fault codes to justify replacing. I suggested going to LR for a courtesy warranty since I have been complaining about the issue since 2007. Again, no can do, same reason. Until they have a fault code, there is nothing they can do, even though they know there is a problem.

The Service Advisor was doing a hard sell on a 60k mile service. Although he did not say this out right, I got the feeling he wanted me to pony up $1100 and they may push harder on the Transmission issue.

Since it takes me 6 months or so to buy a vehicle, I may have to start looking. Any thoughts? I have my eye on VW Touareg TDI, BMW X5 35d, Audi Q7 TDI. I am not completely discounting Land Rover, I have had '01 and this '04, it is just time for a change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts