Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also tried the transmission reset procedure to no avail. I'm wondering if this issue has been addressed on current production L494's with the Supercharged V8? Perhaps by updates to various modules in the vehicle (gateway, ECU, TCU) that a dealer would not normally update unless there was a problem or a customer complaint. The hesitation is frankly awful, and scary at the same time.

Reactions: Ham Hands

·
Registered
2020 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
81 Posts
I tired the transmission reset sequence noted above once and it didn't seem to help reduce the slight hesitation I'm having. I guess I'll try it a few more times just in case I didn't do it correctly.

As far as the Pedal Commander, I installed it (about 5 minutes of work) but it didn't really do anything to alleviate the hesitation issue. All it does is make the gas pedal more responsive AFTER the slight hesitation ends. I'll probably use the PC for a few more weeks before deciding whether to keep it or return it for a refund. Again, the PC DID NOT solve the slight hesitation issue I'm seeing with my vehicle.

Hi mate what was the setting or mode that you tried using with the pedal commander?. Did you try them all to see if any were better than others.
cheers

·
Registered
2021 Range Rover HSE Westminster P400
15 Posts
Hi all found this video on YouTube about installing the pedal commander in a range rover 2021 HSE
hope it can help you if you are thinking of getting the pedal commander like I am with the installation..
cheers
Hey! That’s my video. Hope it helped! My RR is still going strong with the Pedal Commander. Let me know if anybody has any questions.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey! That’s my video. Hope it helped! My RR is still going strong with the Pedal Commander. Let me know if anybody has any questions.

Hi mate great video you put together the only reason I order the pedal commander and give it a try was after I saw your video on YouTube
I have not had the pedal commander delivered to me yet it will take a few more weeks as I'm in Australia,
but when I do I will take the instruction form your video to help me with the installation..
all the best cheers

·
Registered
2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8
34 Posts
Hi mate what was the setting or mode that you tried using with the pedal commander?. Did you try them all to see if any were better than others.
cheers
I tried all of the mode/settings. Thus far, City or Sport are the only ones I could see using. Throttle is pretty touchy in Sport but it is kinda fun.

As I said earlier, I am still getting the occassional slight hesitation in the transmission. Seems to occur most when starting from a stop or going very slow and and then hitting the gas. There is simply a delay when stepping on the gas and the auto transmission responding. Mine seems to be a slight pause of about 1 second or so but it's still kind of annoying.

·
Registered
2016 RRS HSE
22 Posts
While expensive, I did find a solution for my vehicle: I have the VelocityAP engine and transmission software, and it transformed the car into the way it should be. But, as I mentioned, it is not cheap.

·
Registered
2021 Range Rover HSE Westminster P400
15 Posts
I tried all of the mode/settings. Thus far, City or Sport are the only ones I could see using. Throttle is pretty touchy in Sport but it is kinda fun.

As I said earlier, I am still getting the occassional slight hesitation in the transmission. Seems to occur most when starting from a stop or going very slow and and then hitting the gas. There is simply a delay when stepping on the gas and the auto transmission responding. Mine seems to be a slight pause of about 1 second or so but it's still kind of annoying.
Yeah, I do get that a bit as well. As far as modes go, I’m the same. I stick between City and Sport. In Sport plus I feel like I’m going to tip over when making a turn from a stop 😂

·
Registered
2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8
34 Posts
Yeah, I do get that a bit as well. As far as modes go, I’m the same. I stick between City and Sport. In Sport plus I feel like I’m going to tip over when making a turn from a stop 😂
I didn't realize until this morning that there are actually different levels for each of the (4) settings available (Eco, City, Sport & Sport +). You can go from -4 up to +4 for each setting. I've got mine currently set at "City/+2" and it feels pretty good. Definitely will be tinkering with this some more over the next 2 weeks and will likely keep it instead of returning it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I didn't realize until this morning that there are actually different levels for each of the (4) settings available (Eco, City, Sport & Sport +). You can go from -4 up to +4 for each setting. I've got mine currently set at "City/+2" and it feels pretty good. Definitely will be tinkering with this some more over the next 2 weeks and will likely keep it instead of returning it.

Mate, its always good to have a look at the video's or even the instruction book about the product you buy....hahahahaha

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sorry, I've been away for a while from the forum due to time constraints. I PM'd you the factory reset procedure with some detailed extra's/information I experienced after the reset (All Good Things/Attributes as Expected) just about an hour ago so check it out!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I also tried the transmission reset procedure to no avail. I'm wondering if this issue has been addressed on current production L494's with the Supercharged V8? Perhaps by updates to various modules in the vehicle (gateway, ECU, TCU) that a dealer would not normally update unless there was a problem or a customer complaint. The hesitation is frankly awful, and scary at the same time.
@Bryan72880

You may very well be correct. The hesitation problem much more prone on 2017' to 2019' models than the earlier (mine is a 2014.5 mid-year model) and latter models. However, I do seem to remember a factory/dealer fix TSB available I believe that any competent JLR Dealer service tech can perform. I only performed the factory reset sequence after ( A couple of times while going 35-40MPH, light throttle, slight incline road condition... & then needing some serious HP to combat an "Idiot-Driver-Evasive-Situation..." Thus requiring the neck snapping TQ and HP... only to receive a 2 second lagtime for the Tranny to kick down several gears and pull out of it's Stupor...) Then I performed the procedure. For a week after I was afraid to even drive in Sport mode until I got used to the Normal mode the shifting and willingness for gear kick down upon slight throttle need... The engine ran richer (exhaust smell and sound became instantly richer via smell and the cam-lope became noticeably more pronounced simply at idle in my garage... and after a week of driving I was over 3-ticks down from a full oil sump after sequence performed as well when previously she never burned any oil. Topped off and has stayed constant since.)

After Reset Sequence was performed on a night of insomnia (2-3 nights a month). I took her for a spin at Sunrise when the streets are vacant before school/work. Oh, my goodness was she rocket fast... even scary fast from just the afternoon trip home the day before. I didn't use the command shifters for a couple of weeks to relearn the throttle response tranny kick-down sensitivity. The engine's timing was advanced as well after the Reset Sequence which accounted for the need to run richer until the computer started to relearn how she needs be be driven/my driving style. This has been 6 months ago and being a learning computer she's tapered off a bit/comfortably but still noticeably better than the day I brought her home.

If she every gets in the memory or learning slump again... I'll simply re-perform the Reset Sequence that takes less than 4 minutes to perform. One other Lasting & Positive Characteristic I must mention is that the exhaust note has become deeper, raspier, and the cam-lope at idle is much more pronounced then ever before... all sexy and positive attributes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
@Bryan72880

You may very well be correct. The hesitation problem much more prone on 2017' to 2019' models than the earlier (mine is a 2014.5 mid-year model) and latter models. However, I do seem to remember a factory/dealer fix TSB available I believe that any competent JLR Dealer service tech can perform. I only performed the factory reset sequence after ( A couple of times while going 35-40MPH, light throttle, slight incline road condition... & then needing some serious HP to combat an "Idiot-Driver-Evasive-Situation..." Thus requiring the neck snapping TQ and HP... only to receive a 2 second lagtime for the Tranny to kick down several gears and pull out of it's Stupor...) Then I performed the procedure. For a week after I was afraid to even drive in Sport mode until I got used to the Normal mode the shifting and willingness for gear kick down upon slight throttle need... The engine ran richer (exhaust smell and sound became instantly richer via smell and the cam-lope became noticeably more pronounced simply at idle in my garage... and after a week of driving I was over 3-ticks down from a full oil sump after sequence performed as well when previously she never burned any oil. Topped off and has stayed constant since.)

After Reset Sequence was performed on a night of insomnia (2-3 nights a month). I took her for a spin at Sunrise when the streets are vacant before school/work. Oh, my goodness was she rocket fast... even scary fast from just the afternoon trip home the day before. I didn't use the command shifters for a couple of weeks to relearn the throttle response tranny kick-down sensitivity. The engine's timing was advanced as well after the Reset Sequence which accounted for the need to run richer until the computer started to relearn how she needs be be driven/my driving style. This has been 6 months ago and being a learning computer she's tapered off a bit/comfortably but still noticeably better than the day I brought her home.

If she every gets in the memory or learning slump again... I'll simply re-perform the Reset Sequence that takes less than 4 minutes to perform. One other Lasting & Positive Characteristic I must mention is that the exhaust note has become deeper, raspier, and the cam-lope at idle is much more pronounced then ever before... all sexy and positive attributes.
I’m dying over here. My car is almost not drivable except for on the highway. Can you PM me the detailed info??

Reactions: Ham Hands

·
Registered
754 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Range Rover Sport HSE V6
45 Posts
How does one reset? I’d like to have my vehicle learn my driving habits.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts