RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When we bought our Range Rover the previous owner told us the AC compressor failed. We ordered a used compressor so for preparations, this weekend I had a look at the compressor I noticed the following:
I can turn around the outside part (clutch plate?) by hand, but I'm unable to turn the pulley. To me it seems that the clutch is the thing actually driving the ac? So could we fix the AC by just replacing the pulley bearing or the clutch assembly? If so we could pull that of the other compressor and save us the trouble of emptying and filling the ac system?

Regards

Arjan

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
Hi Arjan, the outside, the ribbed part is the pulley where the belt goes along, it should spin freely.
The clutch is the connection to the internal shaft. It is electro-mechanical, when 12V applied it becomes a magnet that engages to the freespinning pulley.
It must be possible to turn it by hand, otherwise your compressor may be seized.
This happens often when people only refill with R134a after a leak, without adding the neccessary lube oil to it. If this happens a couple of times the compressor runs out of oil and gets seized.
Where abouts are you in NL? If you want to drop me a PM in our own native dialect.
Tony.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts