RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have spent the last week searching this and many other forums for an explanation to my symptoms.

I have a 1998 range rover HSE, The ac would not work when I purchased it so I tried getting it charged, There was a leak Inside the compressor. I got a re-manufactured compressor, and had it all charged. Now when I put the AC on it just doesn't get that cold, or really even cold enough for anything. The ac compressor is cycling, but only for like 4 or 5 seconds at a time. It seems as if the air gets cooler as I accelerate up a hill or something. Also The fans make an enormous racket, don't blow what seems to be an appropriate amount of air compared to the noise. They do cycle between all of the settings so I doubt that it is a blend motor issue. I am not getting any books, and am somewhat confused.

Please dont yell at me for not searching. I have searched all posts, on this and many forums.

Somebody please help as I have a 6 month old baby that is getting toooooo hot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that this is the third land rover that I have owned, and I have always done all of the work on them, and I cant seem to track what the issue is. I don't believe it is the trinary switch as my compressor clutch is engaging. I have thought about wiring up a whole new system using some antique relay logic and just putting switches. But I don't have the time for all of that. I am sure that these basically run off of a simple (basic) plc program. I wish that I could get a hold of the program, and see if I could mock up a replacement brain. Oh well, If anyone has any Ideas please help me out. I am quite perplexed>

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Try this... it's a long shot, but it may work.

When your range is running with the a/c on low and fans on full blast, open up the hood and take out one of the fan relays... there's only two. I can't remember which #'s they are, but the underside of the fuse box has them labeled...they're in the lower left hand corner. Anyway... after you take out one of the relays, look back in the cab and see if the sound of the fans has lowered. If not, one of your fans isn't working. If the sound has lowered, shut of the truck, put back the relay, start it back up, and pull out the other relay...then check the fan volume again.

The reason I've recommended this, is that on mine I have a cracked fuse box, and one of the relays frequently gets burnt and doesn't work, causing the same symptoms as you've had (loud but not a lot of air coming out and weak ac). In my case, it's usually just a matter of wiggling the relay a bit with the engine off to get it working again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I just tried this and noticed under the lower right relay there are some cracks in the fuse box. I also noticed no discernible difference in fan tone. I hear a ton of noise coming from the passenger side foot well (right side). I even swapped relays around and there was no difference.

That would explain the lack of fan velocity, but what would explain the lack of cooling. The compressor was cycling, and the ac line is ice cold. I don't believe that the condenser fan is engaging as well.

I hadnt noticed the crack in the fusebox before, I will look up a replacement unless if anyone has one on here.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
That's pretty odd. Hmmm.

Have you checked your pollen filters lately? Also, you can look into there when they're out to see if your fans are spinning.

Does any cold air come out of the vents at all... or is it lukewarm? Is there a different temp coming out of the right vs. left vents?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the pollen filters are good. it is blowing the same barely cool from all vents. I will pull the filters and look for the fans spinning in the morning. But I can physically hear a fan blowing like crazy on the passenger side (rhd). I do not hear a fan on the left / drivers side. I can feel some cold air coming out behind the dead pedal no matter what direction the ac is is set to blow. My blend motors are working correct.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

As Kmagnuss pointed out one fan might be not working causing the air from the working fan to flow out through the suction inlet of the not working fan. Put the ac in recirculation mode and feel if there is air blowing in the footwell. If yes then this is the side of your not working fan.
Replace the relays and see if your fuse box need repair or renewal.

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetail ... sebox.html

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I am now thinking that it may be my fuse box, and I am willing to purchase a brand new one, Can I install it myself, will the truck start and drive afterwords, or will it be disabled.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Yes you can install it...it's pretty straightforward. IIRC, it takes most people an hour or two.
Your truck will behave exactly the same as if you disconnected the battery. You'll have to reset the windows, sunroof, and resynch the key fobs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a similar issue minus the fan noise. I didn't get enough cold air to the cabin. Took it to an a/c mechanic and checked everything. There's a valve inside the engine bay, i can't remeber the name, i replaced it and the drier. Then everything was back to normal.

Also you will need to check your evaporator core and the surrounding packing. If the packing is gone then you'll need to put the packing. To do this job, you need to take the complete dash board out. So take it to a professional who has a clean workshop. This is the one place i don't like messing by myself.

Regards,

Gayan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would suggest finding out if the evaporator unit is free of debris.
In each footwell , behind the lower dash panel(under the steering wheel) and the glovebox you need to remove the two (one on either side) main air ducts. There plastic and black. When all this is open you can look into the A/C evap opening with a light and maybe a mirror to see any debris that might have been blown in from a ripped or faulty pollen filter. Blow out the cavity with an air line that has a fair amount of pressure and see what comes out. You may have leaves or mold in there that is causeing a blockage of cold, condensed air to be blown thru the evap fins. Just like a radiator, but the opposite effect in temp.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Its not the same car, but a few years ago I had this excact same problem on a bmw 850. After countless dollars and parts I finally went to another shop. They completely evacutated the entire system, Filled, evacutaed, then filled and it was ice cold after that.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
971 Posts
gunemalli said:
I had a similar issue minus the fan noise. I didn't get enough cold air to the cabin. Took it to an a/c mechanic and checked everything. There's a valve inside the engine bay, i can't remeber the name, i replaced it and the drier. Then everything was back to normal.

Also you will need to check your evaporator core and the surrounding packing. If the packing is gone then you'll need to put the packing. To do this job, you need to take the complete dash board out. So take it to a professional who has a clean workshop. This is the one place i don't like messing by myself.

Regards,

Gayan
Hi,

From where did u source the AC Drier? From the agents?
Here in COLOMBO, i can't find one.

regds

1 - 16 of 16 Posts