RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out of town for a month and left my car in garage. Came back to this awful smell right when I turn the ac on but then it goes away after 15 seconds. Partly my fault bc I usually drive with the air circulator on and didn’t air it out. I wanted to spray some Lysol into the air intake for the cabin. Anyone know where this is? Anyone have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Have you checked your cabin pollen filter ? It is probably dirty and causing the smells on AC start up.
The filter is behind your glovebox.
Just go on UTUBE and look up L405 Range Rover videos, How too, and you will see a great video on how too replace this filter yourself will take about 10 mins .
Hope this helps!

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Check your AC drains. With humidity down there, your drains most likely work over time. A/C does not COOL the air... it dries it. Cooling is just a byproduct of removing the humidity. Your drains can easily plug up from road dust and the evap drainage. Cabin filter may cause smells but they wouldn't be a mildew smell. To check if they are plugged go for a drive with the air intake set to fresh, not recirc. Park at your fav coffee shop or similar place. After a few minutes you should have sizable puddle of water under the the front of the transmission. If there is no puddle your drains are completely plugged. If it is only a puddle a few inches across then they are partially plugged.

Raise your rover to wading mode, slide under the transmission at the back of the bell housing, or have someone else do it for you. :mrgreen: There are two drains poking through the floor from directly under the back of the dash, one on each side. Give them a squeeze to break up any concrete like blockage. Another option is to use a section of computer network cable and snake the drain from below. Do not use anything like a coat hanger. You can easily puncture the drain hoses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: they flushed the evaporator and changed filter. It honestly still smelled just a tad but I’ve kept the ac on auto with no recirculation and it’s gone away completely. They supposedly did an ac software update that delays the ac on start up but I can’t tell a difference. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
It's a pretty common issue on both L494 and L405s. The dealer did the AC software update which delays AC start up which did fix the problem unbelievably for me. The delay isn't a big issue except when getting into the car in the summer if I've parked outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts