RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/C control init threw the book with ! symbol. When I inspected the two relays the one closest to the front of the car was burnt and the heat on one of the connectors slightly melted the relay and the panel. I need to research if it’s driver or passenger side but my question is the resistance must be hella high for the kind of melting. Would that also indicate that the motor itself is failing or is there something else I should look at as well?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
Joined
·
1,413 Posts
yes to all. your motor is indeed failing, thus causing high resistance which in turn overloads the wiring and rest of circuit.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
79 Posts
Ummm.

Hard to say if your fan motor is failing, probably not. These fuse boxes have notoriously failed in many, many of our machines. Do a search and you will see it is a weak part; the exact relay fails every time. So it was under designed for the load it carries and overheats. Replace the fuse box with new.

Here was my fix, still going strong with no overheat indication.

Best of luck.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Agreed, it isn't the fan but the connections in the fusebox. The heat is generated where the high resistance is and the tracks on early fuseboxes weren't really up to the amount of current they are expected to carry. Ultimately the solder holding the connector to the track starts to burn so the resistance increases and it gets hotter still. Can be repaired (see https://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/electrical/fusebox.html) but brand new replacements aren't too expensive but you must get the correct one for your VIN.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
419 Posts
If you have not cleaned the pollen filters lately they can clog and make your fans overheat trying to pull air.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
79 Posts
Ummm.

Hard to say if your fan motor is failing, probably not. These fuse boxes have notoriously failed in many, many of our machines. Do a search and you will see it is a weak part; the exact relay fails every time. So it was under designed for the load it carries and overheats. Replace the fuse box with new.

Here was my fix, still going strong with no overheat indication.

Best of luck.

Sorry, forgot to attach the thread I referred to.

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/225890-new-fuse-box-external-relocation-rl7-relay.html
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top