Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have had a kind of whirring, whine coming from the blower motor under the dash for a while in my 1994 Classic. Yesterday I took her for a ride and when I turned it on, there was nothing at all. No air, no noise, or anything else. I assume it is the blower motor. Is this something that people have experienced? Is it something I might attempt to replace myself? Or should I take the RRC and a tub of lube :shock: down to the garage?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Harddash or Softdash?

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is the most exiting job on these cars. Last winter my blower motor failed and I drove during the coldest week of the winter with no heater due to lack of funds / fear of disassembling entire dash ( 99 page instructions on Atlantic British website ). I did this job half way just to see what I was in for, while I continued to drive truck daily. Eventually I was driving without upper dash, radio hanging out, and instrement cluster loosley attached, until I found a bargain on motor and resistor. This resistor, located behind hood vent ( another fun job ) varies the speed of heater and ac motors, so the test to see if your problem is a motor or resistor is to see if ac operates at different speeds. If not ,start by replacing resistor ,this still requires dissasembly of half the dash to reach the elec. connector. Its a $800 job by a mechanic, $1500 from dealer, $400 do it your self.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Can you give more detai of where this resistor is? Maybe a picture. My one only works in the off or full on position though a click can be heard behind the dash in the other two positions. I thought it may have some relays there.

:pray:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whoops. Sorry for the long delay... had to go out of town unexpectedly. That said...

Sweet Christ on a pogo-stick! $1500? :crybaby2:

Well, I guess I should stop being surprised by now.

I have a 1994 "hard dash" I guess. The motor was making quite a bit of noise before it stopped - so as much as I would like for it to be a relay it probably isn't. Still never hurts to check. My mechanic (who is a good friend) told me to whack it a couple time with a broom handle or something that if it was a dead motor, it may come back to life for a moment or two. BUT, I can't even see anything to whack without dash removal.

This sounds like it will require lots of patience... and beer.

Lots of beer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you happen to need to change the motor be prepared for a large job. I changed the heater motor in my 88 RRC and it was a full weekend job. Not hard by any means just a lot to remove and replace.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dano said:
This is what I'm doing this weekend. :pray:
This is wat I do not want to do as my motor is working but not the speed control. So if anyone has more detail on that Resister I would be very grateful especially if there are pictures as well.

:pray:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hiya,

Quoting classicjack "This is the most exiting job on these cars..." - well I must admit once you've done this job you will have gone where mere mortals fear to tread !!!
It's not terribly difficult - just time consuming and without instructions to follow, daunting (print off & read the Atlantic British info jack refers to)..... but if you're handy with tools, very do-able.
Hell - $1500 is serious money I could spend else where on the truck.

I did a complete dash strip to my 76 classic years ago as I had to replace the failed heater core. Thing was leaking fluid at over the place...
This meant not only pulling the heater out but also cracking open the assembly to get at the core.

Preparation, average skill & time are the key !
Don't forget to get a hold of the wiring diagram and get you mechanic friend to help....
Ohh - and lots of containers to store the bits-n-pieces in as you remove them.
Again - read up first as there is a systematic approach to follow that will make it easier.

As my job didn't involve the electrics - can't help you there but get yourself a cheap multimeter, learn how it works and test the DC components as you go.
Fan speed switch, fan motor, resistor.....

Cheers
Rod

1 - 10 of 10 Posts