RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I decided to tackle my 96 4.0 no AC problem first by replacing leaking condenser and dryer unit, got the system vacuumed and filled to find no voltage at compressor the mechanic put 12 volts to compressor the compressor engaged, I jumped the trinary switch plug and got 12 volts at compressor and replaced trinary switch. The compressor engaged but started to squeal. Checked pressure on low side and it was high and go in the green when compressor engaged but the compressor would engage and rpm dropped and pressure remained high, AC stopped cooling. Where should I go from here? I'm thinking about replacing compressor and should the ac guy have added oil to system when recharging?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Should have put about 8oz's of PAG46 oil in when charging the system up.
When I bought my new compressor, it already came prefilled with oil.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How is your air flow? Assuming the charge is correct, if your pressures are high you may not be getting enough air flow through the condenser. Jump your fan relays to run the fans on high speed and check your pressures and see if the system is cooling correctly. If all is well you may need a new viscous unit. ibis1 ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, replaced viscous unit and AC is running ice cold, also stopped the overheating when sitting still with ac on. This board have been very helpful in keeping my range rover on the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts