RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Trying to replace my AC compressor. I've searched multiple forums and sites looking for the right one, but what came out of my truck doesn't look anything like what I am seeing anywhere else. Below are photos of my old AC Compressor, and I've got one next to what I ordered that was supposed to fit. I've even cross-referenced the pics with Sanden 4646s (as recommended in older AC threads here) but still, they look very different. Any ideas on what my compressor is and where I can source it? It does have adaptor fittings for the R134 conversion, but still, even the port locations seem off.

AC 1.jpg AC 2.jpg AC 3.jpg AC Compare.jpg
-Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
132 Posts
A new compressor is going to cost upward of $600 whereas a reputable service shop can most likely rebuild your existing one with new seals etc for half that. Even if the clutch has failed, that can often be replaced with parts taken from another unit

Not sure if it is still legal in the US but changing the current gas to "Hi-Chill" might be worth investigating. It runs at lower pressure but is just as effective

·
Registered
366 Posts
A new compressor is going to cost upward of $600 whereas a reputable service shop can most likely rebuild your existing one with new seals etc for half that. Even if the clutch has failed, that can often be replaced with parts taken from another unit

Not sure if it is still legal in the US but changing the current gas to "Hi-Chill" might be worth investigating. It runs at lower pressure but is just as effective
Maybe in Aussie, but here in the USA you buy compressor of the shelf and they are cheap. In Europe they make a big deal out of AC systems, here it is just part of life and you can do and buy anything. I use a product call Envirosafe which is a gas mixture quite similar to R12, but without the Ozone harming elements. Readily available and cheap. The only problem with it is that it is flammable, so you just have to avoid crashing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a R134 conversion a few months ago and the AC worked great...cold and strong. Then the compressor started leaking. Looking to get a new one in there and get going again. The Sanden replacement seemed like the best option but can't seem to find the fit

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
102 Posts
You can just buy a new version of the compressor you have. I looked on ebay and they were going for $160. At some point your RRC had the original Sanden replaced, but since what you have works, you don't need to try and convert it a third time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it's already leaking then you're not losing anything by pulling it apart. The just use generic o-rings and seals. I resealed my compressor in a chevy car with one seal and 2 generic o-rings from the Napa for 30 bucks. Still blows cold. I'd tear it down and have a look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts