RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate noticed that my ABS accumulator had worn out so I found a deal on ebay for a used pump + accumulator. It's now installed and the brakes have been bled. The pump runs allot less and is very quite compared with the old one. My new trouble is that every time I step on the brake the Parking brake indicator, ABS indicator and, TC Indicator light up.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
A. How did your roomate know that your accumulator was bad?

B. Your brand new used accumulator is most likely really bad. Try putting your old one back on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The online test procedure he found was you turn on the truck and let it sit for 5 minutes. If the pump goes on more then once it's bad. Also you should be able to step on the peddle and only have it run a little bit or none the first time.

I agree the new accumulator is certainly worse then the one I had one. Since the pump is quitter I'm going to guess that it's in better shape.

Can you hear your pump running inside the cab at idle with the windows closed?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I personally can't, but others say they can. :think:

Put your old accumulator back on and see if it helps. If so, it may be time to buy a new one...a real new one...not a brand new used one. That's kind of like putting a used fuel filter on your car and hoping it works.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The item I purchased was advertised as replaces 1200 miles ago. Pulled from a vehicle insurance totaled out. So I was lead to believe it was basically new. Since they have a lifespan of ~100K miles I figured 1200 was not significant. I now believe that the dealer or mechanic replaced the pump but not the accumulator. I believe this because the pump is much quieter then my old pump and clearly the accumulator is shot. I'm going to order a replacement accumulator and pop my old one back on for the short term.

I agree used fuel filter, oil filters, transmission filter. Not a good idea.

G

·
0 Posts
A new pump includes the accumulator, so the chances that the pump was replaced and not the accumulator is pretty slim. I spoke with one of the guys at Falconworks recently, and this is how he said to test the accumulator: turn the key to position II, the pump should run for no more than 45 seconds, once it shuts off push in the break pedal, if the pump runs again then your accumulator is bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts