RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I started getting a random ABS - Traction failure message while driving.

It happens randomly and not every time I drive the car.

It goes away if i switch off and restart.

I connected the nanocom while the error was showing and it was unable to connect to the abs ecu.

After restarting without the error showing, I was able to connect the the ecu, but there were no errors stored.

However, I noticed that the nanocom was unable to connect to the becm (which it was able to do a few months ago).

I'm thinking it must be an intermittent connection issue somewhere, but i'm lost as to where I should start looking.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
50 Posts
I have the same issue..a loose abs sensor. Intermittent false /out of range signal will trip the error. Resets on every startup / calibration.
Mine is the result of changing all 4 rotors and not replacing the sensor tightly enough. Yours could be corrosion / dirt.
Before I changed the rotors, I could get an error if I parked on full steering lock - start up and gun it before the lights go off (calibration) with wheel spin causing different sensor readings and thus an error.

BECM connection?, try electrical contact cleaner on the plug under glovebox. Have seen corrosion and dirt there.

MJS

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
The lights coming on after start up have nothing to do with calibration. It means the booster pressure is too low, probably because the accumulator is passed its best. The error you get when TC kicks in is because the pressure is too low for the system to work correctly.

Filip

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
Difficulty with OBD connections will be either corrosion on the actual OBD socket itself or in the large white multiway connector behind the RH kick panel. To connect to BeCM needs the ignition off, all other systems need it to be on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lights coming on after start up have nothing to do with calibration. It means the booster pressure is too low, probably because the accumulator is passed its best. The error you get when TC kicks in is because the pressure is too low for the system to work correctly.

Filip
The accumulator is 6 months old and the system is bled properly, braking performance is excellent.
The pump operation is not excessive, so it should not be that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Difficulty with OBD connections will be either corrosion on the actual OBD socket itself or in the large white multiway connector behind the RH kick panel. To connect to BeCM needs the ignition off, all other systems need it to be on.
Didn't know ignition needed to be off for BECM connection to nanocom, will try again to make sure it does indeed work.
How do you explain the lack of communication to the ABS ecu when the error is present Richard?

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
It may be a lack of communication while the error is there or it may be just a lack of communication. Mine will sometimes not connect first time, almost every time on the HEVAC in fact, but if you back out of it and go back in it connects on a second go.

When connecting to the BeCM you'll know it has connected as you'll hear a relay click somewhere and Diagnostic will appear on the message centre.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2 problems here, I have had them both.

The intermittent traction control failure message was was fixed by changing a faulty ABS sensor.

The Nanocom connection problem depends on the ignition switch position when activated. I don't remember the solution, but trial and error solved the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts