Range Rovers Forum banner

ABS + Traction Control fault on start up

16K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ghind 
#1 ·
Recently (couple of months) I'm seeing a sporadic ABS + Traction control fault on start up. If I turn the ignition off and restart the car again the warning goes away, and all is well. The warning messages/lights have never come up while driving.

#2 ·
This is lot more frequent now. The lights stay on when I first start the car after a long stop. They go off after switching the ignition off and on again. Almost like its waiting to build brake pressure. The Accumulator is about 10k miles old and the symptoms are different to when I first noticed the old Accumulator was on its way out (before, the ABS + Traction lights will light up when I depress the brake peddle to the floor).
Any help will be appreciated as I'm lost.

#4 ·
I would put the ignition in position 2, and listen to how long the ABS pump takes to build up pressure. If you're indeed correct that it takes awhile to build up pressure (more than 20 seconds or so), then the pump may be on its way out. When you're doing this test, check to see if you hear any abnormal sound coming from your ABS pump-it should sound like a low tone humming. If the pump takes a long time to pump up or if you hear an abnormal sound, I would start looking for a motor rebuild shop around you. If you can't find a shop around you, there's a shop in California (N. Hollywood) called Invasion Auto. They do rebuilds for a reasonable price.

In the meantime, why don't you bleed the brakes and see if that makes any difference.

On the other hand, if pump up time is normal, it could be sensor related.

Regards,

#5 ·
kmagnuss said:
Is the message display actually reading "fault" or is it just the two lights staying lit up for a bit after start up?
Yes, lights stay on and the display shows Messages: ABS Fault and Traction Fault. So far, the messages nor the lights haven't returned after restarting the car fro the second time.
To add to the mix, I have a RANDOM EAS fault that seems to correct itself. I used Storey's software with a Belkin Serial to USB converter with Windows 7 and it kinda went crazy and set a hard fault and told me the right/Front sensor was faulty. I couldn't use the software to clear the hard fault. Ended up using the EAS buddy. Not sure if these problems are related to an Electrical Gremlin. Then again, the ABS and Traction Faults never shows up while driving. However, the EAS soft Fault has.

#6 ·
It could be just a poor battery. I have had these alarms come up when my battery was on the way out.
Starting drops the voltage down a lot on a duff battery causing the alarms.
In the past I have had ABS fault / transmission failure on the display. A bit disconcerting.
New battery problem solved.

Dave
:)

#7 ·
Thanks Dave, I guess here in Arizona anything over 2 years is borrowed time for the battery and I have own the car close to 3 now and have no idea how old the battery was to begin with. I will give it a full charge and see if it makes a difference.
Funny how we overlook the simple stuff when troubleshooting these complicated beasts.

#8 ·
Yes i had the same, traction fault and abs. The car all stayed in one gear, 3rd. Switch it off and it wouldn't re-start, flat battery. Jump started it, alternator giving low charge. Changed that and alls fine now. Just need to clear the ECU memory of the faults.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.