RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody replace the spendy ABS components with a non ABS set up? Honestly im to the point where i just want simple stupid consistent brakes without pumps and stuff... Can the ABS calipers be used without the ABS? If anyone has tackled this project please hit me up. I am very interested in what you have done.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Apparently the set up from the D1 fits without too many problems. I have never done it but met a bloke who converted his LSE to non ABS using D1 parts.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been looking into this swap as well, what i've found is abs was optional until 90 or 91, so parts are available. I found a car on e-bay , 90 range rover, which had standard brakes, owner was willing to sell entire system for $350, a little high I thought since new rebuilt master cylinder is $150, and vaccume booster new rebuilt is $200. I'm told the brake pedal is different, but one from disco 1 will work, also there is a junction which has brake warning switch mounted in it, for warning light on dash. I still haven't seen one on a car , but this is the info i've gathered so far.

·
Registered
345 Posts
classicjack said:
I've been looking into this swap as well, what i've found is abs was optional until 90 or 91, so parts are available. I found a car on e-bay , 90 range rover, which had standard brakes, owner was willing to sell entire system for $350, a little high I thought since new rebuilt master cylinder is $150, and vaccume booster new rebuilt is $200. I'm told the brake pedal is different, but one from disco 1 will work, also there is a junction which has brake warning switch mounted in it, for warning light on dash. I still haven't seen one on a car , but this is the info i've gathered so far.Calipers are same , so you just have to bend existing lines where they attach to booster, re-flair, and attach to new master cylinder.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You want the D1 proportioning valve as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
since these vehicles were so similar for 20+ years i imagine if i find a pre 1990 rrc i can probably use the non abs brake components. I would be very surprised if i couldn't.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had posted this same question about non abs swap about a month ago, my idea at the time was to compare to a disco with non abs but I couldnt find one. The problem isnt that all rovers are the same, its finding one with non abs. Two things I would like to find are non abs system working, and carburated range rover. It seems these were rare in the U.S. We never see diesel or lp Rovers either.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I looked at a 92 swb last week, it drove so nice I didnt look under the hood, but did notice the brakes felt different than my other cars with abs. The next day the owner called with transfer case blown, loud chain and gear noise and now immobile. I purchased for $600, car looked so nice I couldn't resist. As it turns out car was changed to non abs system, so to answer my own question, all that was done was a vaccume system with master cylinder was mounted, attached to pedal and lines were cut and reflaired. Simple as that, $350 in parts. Probably 4 hrs work .

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
16 Posts
So lets get this right, all I need to do is change to a non abs master cylinder/servo?
I've a 1994 and I'm having major probs too with ABS and Traction control too
Steve

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
16 Posts
classicjack said:
I looked at a 92 swb last week, it drove so nice I didnt look under the hood, but did notice the brakes felt different than my other cars with abs. The next day the owner called with transfer case blown, loud chain and gear noise and now immobile. I purchased for $600, car looked so nice I couldn't resist. As it turns out car was changed to non abs system, so to answer my own question, all that was done was a vaccume system with master cylinder was mounted, attached to pedal and lines were cut and reflaired. Simple as that, $350 in parts. Probably 4 hrs work .
Is it this easy? So there are no problems from the ECU or elsewhere?
It might be the easy answer for me too.
Steve

·
Registered
194 Posts
It is that simple! You could (and probably should, just to be on the safe side) remove the ABS ECU, relays and fuses from underneath the driver's seat (LHD). I don't know whether this turns off the brake system warning lights. Probably. But if it doesn't, just remove the bulbs.

However, the ABS is good to have, especially if you live in conditions with icy and/or snowy roads,

I've needed the ABS once on my RRC and once on my previous Renault. This winter, a month ago, without the ABS, I might have hit the car in front of my RRC a bit harder. Now I only destroyed the front left corner of my front bumper due to the fact that I could steer during a VERY HARD braking on ice. With the Renault, I missed a v e r y big elk by 20 cm in summertime - all credit to the ABS...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I looked in the shop manual today and compared pipe layout for abs and non abs, and noticed pressure reducing valve on pass side for front right and rear wheels. This must be valve Knudson was refering to. Also pipe layout has to be changed to rear wheels. Still a much cheaper solution than replacing 2 wheel sensors or very expensive booster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Whats the issue with abs brakes. My 92 RRC has better brakes than my 2005 Armada.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts