RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I have a problem with 1996 RR P38 ABS. I'm not sure whats wrong.

My ABS indicator light illuminated all time. I check with my scanner, it says..... Speed sensor problem. From the system, it says probability cause : sensor or wiring. I change my ABS sensors and check all wire to the sensor. Nothing is wrong with the wires.....

I asked my mechanic, he said that I should change the ABS ECU, its a WABCO. My understanding, if the problem on my ECU, my reader should not be able to connect or read the ABS problem.

Please help me, what should I do... 馃様馃様

Registered
Unless your mechanic knows about P38s then you may as well ignore him. Do you have someone close by with a Nanocom - where are you based? Nanocom will give you live data on each wheel (to 2 km per hour !!) which will help narrow it down. I'm guessing the ECU is not the issue, but ideally needs some better diagnostics before we get there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thats the problem. I'm in Jakarta, Indonesia. We used to have one authorized dealer for RR. They closed now and took over by Jaguar Land Rover. Seems to me that they don't have any parts in stock for RR P38. So for the time being, I'll try to check it one by one before I go to JL again... 馃様馃様馃様

On my scanner, the fault code is P0500 or speed sensor fault.

Registered
There may be a gap problem on one corner. Did you manage to get all the crud out of the holes for the sensor, and then copper slip the metal cages before you slide the sensors in? They will then self-gap when you start moving, and don't need whacking with a hammer. You can probably get a second hand ECU off ebay, certainly in the UK, but I'd be reluctant to start pulling bits off until you've got a better diagnostic read out

Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Mine did the same thing a few months ago. I changed the ECU, problem solved.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
There may be a gap problem on one corner. Did you manage to get all the crud out of the holes for the sensor, and then copper slip the metal cages before you slide the sensors in? They will then self-gap when you start moving, and don't need whacking with a hammer. You can probably get a second hand ECU off ebay, certainly in the UK, but I'd be reluctant to start pulling bits off until you've got a better diagnostic read out
Ok, I'll check it specially on the gap. In a few days, I'll receive my pulse tester, hopefully I can get a clear picture of the pulse from each sensor to the ECU.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Mine did the same thing a few months ago. I changed the ECU, problem solved.
Sure, after checking all sensor, wiring and the pulse sending to ECU and no problems found, than I will replace the ECU to a new one... 馃檹馃檹

Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Have you downloaded the RAVE manual? According to the manual you replace the copper sleeve insert whenever you change an ABS sensor. I assume this is intended to ensure the sensor can slide freely into position. You push them down all the way as far as they can go and then when you drive away the gap sets automatically.

Registered
Hi there
Did you check the wires from the wabco connector?
Did you clean the connector and the wabco connecting pins.?
Is the connection between wabco and abs unit allright?
Is the system earthed allright?
If thats all allright, than the mechanica is probably right.
It might be easier if you could lend a wabco to try it out?
Yours
Simon janssen
Netherlands

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Simon. I tried and check all sensors, cleaning it and check signals from each sensor. Previously, front right sensor sent a very low signal. I managed to fix it. All sensors have sampe pulse now, but ABS still illuminated...

Now, I'm trying to find other similar truck to lend the ECU just to make sure before I buy a new one...

Does anyone know what other car use this WABCO ECU?

Registered
Hi Simon. I tried and check all sensors, cleaning it and check signals from each sensor. Previously, front right sensor sent a very low signal. I managed to fix it. All sensors have sampe pulse now, but ABS still illuminated...

Now, I'm trying to find other similar truck to lend the ECU just to make sure before I buy a new one...

Does anyone know what other car use this WABCO ECU?
Hi
to be sure: did you drive the car for at least 500 meters?
yours
simon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts