RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

I was swapping out my drivers left front strut with a blown bag on my 2006 L322, severely corroded bolts. After getting the top bolt out of lower strut I was moving the strut back and forth and the half shat came out of the differential. The job quickly moved out of my league and I went to a shop I know for help. They had to pull the hub and the bearing was replaced and all was put back together.

They test drove the truck and all was well but prior to leaving I took a peak under to see and saw that grease was everywhere due to a torn boot. They pulled it back in and had to pull the half shaft again and have the boot replaced by a different local shop. They put it back together and now the ABS is not being recognized and speedometer does not work? They have tested all the wires and they are good. They bearing is in correctly and confirmed as all worked well on the first test drive originally. Is it possible the teeth are the issue on the half shaft? It does not appear to be free spinning on the half shaft but could it be sticking when it is in the knuckle as it is corroded? If it is not the speed sensor and the ABS sensor is new what other possibilities? Would seem odd that is a bad module after it worked fine the first time they put it back together? Codes all say no reading on front left sensor.

Any advise would be appreciated.... Thank you!

* suspension works fine now... lol... so at least I did fix that!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,088 Posts
Did they use an aftermarket ABS sensor? Are you getting a loss of wheel speed signal DTC? If so, do you get it immediately after starting the truck without moving it (if so its a wiring issue), or after moving the truck a few feet (sensor issue, or cracked tone ring).

I've had numerous aftermarket ones that and up just a tiny bit short and don't get close enough to the tone ring to sense the axle roatating. All I did was grind a tiny bit off the mounting lug on the sensor off where it bolts to the hub. This moves the sensor deeper into the hole and allows it to "see" the ring again. Sometimes there can be a bit of rust on the hub where the sensor slides into which effectively doesn't let the sensor go deep enough into the hole as well. Check and double check how far in the tone ring is, if you (or the shop) try to do this because if the sensor touches the ring it will get ground away on the end and then its no good. There is a specified clearance needed for them to work, too far out and there will be no signal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I did as instructed above and still not recognizing the front left. It is throwing faults at startup and they have checked all wiring and comes back fine. I am going to send out the ABS module to be rebuilt and I am told they will tell me upfront if it was bad or not.

Any other thoughts on this please share, potentially just coincidental that the ABS module went bad or was effected by the work being done? Hopefully this is the issue, need to get this back on the road.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,088 Posts
Put a volt meter on the 2V (<12V) AC scale on the two leads coming from the ABS sensor on the wheel and spin the wheel. You should see a voltage pulse on the volt meter (an analog one is easier to see it on than a digital) as the wheel spins. If you can't see the pulse then the sensor is the issue. I would find it pretty far fetched that the ABS controller would fail while working on the left air bag, since its pretty well separated from where you were working by the wheel well, and inner fender braces.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the reply Mark; the issue started when I was trying to free the bolts on the strut that attach to the knuckle. I was pulling on the strut back and forth to loosen the bottom bolt and the half shat popped out of the differential. The shop I went to put the shaft back in place and everything worked fine. Prior to leaving the shop I looked under the truck to check it out and the boot had a crack and was throwing grease everywhere. The truck was in the north east most of its life so rusted bolts and so on was a huge issue. They could not get the half shaft to separate from the hub. Had to replace the hub bearing and they sent the half shaft to have the boot replaced. When they put it all back together it no longer read the senor on left front. They have tested all of the wires and seem convinced that it is the module.

Wires tested
Bearing is in correctly
Speed sensor is intact and spinning
tried both OEM and aftermarket sensor
Grinded down the speed sensor port to ensure it is in deep enough

I had the module rebuilt and it is on the way back, they said there were issues with it so I am hopeful this will fix the issue. I am not convinced this is the issue though, if not I am not sure what I will do at this point.

Thanks again,
Michael

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
310 Posts
Once you get the repaired module back and if that does not fix the issue, consider replacing the whole left front axle with oem part. Let me ask, was your recent replacement an oem? The positioning of the abs ring on the axle on some of the non oem are off by tiny dimensions and cause the abs sensor to not send the correct voltage to the abs module. I am only stating this because you mentioned that you started having this issue right after replacement of the shaft.
Also, the abs repair shop should be upfront about all the issues that they found and fixed. Demand that they tell you! Not just take your money and say they found and fixed a bunch of issues. If my memory serves me right, the bmw abs module gets hot being so close to the engine. That causes some weakness to the soldering of a couple of wires on the circuit board. People reinforce those connections and that is about the main issue that I know of for a failing module.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: So they put the "rebuilt" module back in and now they are saying they get signal from wheel up to the ABS module but still not reading right front. Not sure how now they are getting signal up to the ABS module but they were not before? He is telling me it is the module again? I am not sure what to do at this point but we are calling the company that rebuilt the module in the morning.

I am not sure they know how to handle the issue anymore.... ughhhhhhh

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the tone ring is damaged or the local shop took it off and forgot to put it back on the axle. By the way, my strut bolts were severely corroded also and while banging away at the lower bolt I pulled the half shaft out of the differential. I used a c-press tool on the right strut bolts. It worked great.

·
Registered
310 Posts
So now the problem went from Left Front to Right now?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Back to the axle that was replaced on the left side. Make sure it is oem. Also make sure the tone ring was not damaged or removed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So..... I dropped off the parts to the shop to be installed and left town for the week. While I was away they had another shop mechanic look at the truck before replacing the parts I dropped off. He found that the first mechanic working on the truck had damaged a pin on the connector on the wire heading to ABS module. They replaced the connector and plugged it in and it worked fine. So after all of this back and forth it was the connector they had assured me they checked and it was fine. This has been expensive air bag repair. :)

Picking up truck tomorrow morning and returning unused parts.

Thank you for the help, I am grateful for the tips and advice.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Good deal. Must be a good feeling finally! Talk about being ripped off by the abs module repair shop too who claimed to have fixed some stuff. Hopefully you are not being charged labor to fix the damaged pin. This is why I opted to be a diy'er. If I am busy I just let the truck sit there until I have time to fix it lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the really good news is that the shop did not charge me for anything beyond the original estimate, in fact 400 bucks less. They owned up to the mistake big time and appoligized for taking so long.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
283 Posts
Workshop errors/mistakes happen all the time (I've made plenty of them over nearly 4 decades of fiddling with vehicles).

Kudos to this shop who owned and admitted their error.

I'd use this shop again based on that experience.

Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts