RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a spare ABS Pump STC 2783 It was put in the parts car new, just before I bought it. I am going to remove it and put it on the shelf, do I need to store it with fluid in it, or can it be dry? :think:
Thanks Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you store it wet or dry in Namibia? :lol:

Scotty

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The new ones from LR come vacuum packed, plugged off and filled with brake fluid.

Personally I would flush out the brake fluid and fill it with engine oil for preservation. Before using it open it and flush it with white spirit and reassemble. The brake fluid is a very corrosive liquid and can damage the internals of the pump if air is present and will transfer to a solid soapy substance when left for long.

I have seen burned out pump from a wrecked car when it was powered up(after it was bought to part it out) to check the electrics and engine because the pump was full of dried up brake fluid and could not be turned.

Regards

Jos

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Jos..

·
Registered
865 Posts
Store it wet with preferably clean brake fluid...
If you cycle engine oil through its going to damage the accumalator and possibly damage the plastic bit inside the actual pump itself.....Been in the heavy industry to long so can advise of storage on these sensitive items.

I doubt it will hang around long enough for damage to start just seal up the in and outlet

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would certainly not use engine Oil. I am **** sure there will be plenty of rubber components and they will go very hard with mineral oil.

I would agree with clean brake fluid, then cling wrap it (vacuum pack is better still) and if you are really concerned change the fluid once a year - like you will have it that long!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.. :D

Scotty

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Jos Geuze said:
Personally I would flush out the brake fluid and fill it with engine oil for preservation. Before using it open it and flush it with white spirit and reassemble. The brake fluid is a very corrosive liquid and can damage the internals of the pump if air is present and will transfer to a solid soapy substance when left for long.
I'd be reluctant to use engine oil.

What about DOT5 compliant synthetic brake fluid?

It is not hygroscopic and doesn't corrode brake components.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Dot5 it is ..

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The epdm seals and o-rings are indeed not very resistant to motor oil. And as ron pointed out Dot 5 might be a good choice to preserve the pumps internal parts. This also probably aplies to the accumulator, but I would remove this from the pump.
I am wondering what plastic part Vipe rover is referring to as the parts in the pumps I opened up are all metal except for some seals and o-rings which are easily sourced and replaced.

Regards

Jos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts