RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Several days ago I posted a message regarding an intermittent ABS pump problem.
i received many excellent replies.
i blanched at the cost of a new pump unit.
Fortunatley a helpful post suggested I check no. 17 relay in the fuse box.
it turns out that the fuse box is faulty. If I wriggle the relay it will activate the pump. I substituted an identical relay with the same results. My attempts to clean the contacts etc have not been successful so I will remove the relay box and investigate.
For those interested I have made an unusual repair to a burnt out contact for a blower moter on this fuse box several years ago which I submitted to this forum.
regards
Al

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
There’s plenty of posts on repairing and bypassing certain relays, attaching fans to cool relays, etc, obviously if you’ve adapted your fuse box before , it sounds like it’s time to get a new one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi all,
Yet more information on the problematic ABS pump.
When I wrote the previous submission I was convinced the problem was the relay box. Wriggling the ABS relay would energise the pump and if in just the right spot it would remain functioning.
It was very concerning that when it energised a whisp of smoke would be visible.
A little more research on the Net indicated the problem could be the relay itself.
i removed the cover and the problem was obvious, burnt contacts!
I plugged the exposed relay into the fuse box and smoking and arcing at the contacts was obvious.
What was surprising was how wriggling the relay would make it function although common sense indicated it was the terminals.
I cleaned up the contacts and it now works perfectly. I will replace it with a new one.
The lesson to be learned, assume nothing. If had of correctly diagnosed the problem in the first place I could have saved myself hours of work disassembling the fuse box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts