RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 92 the ABS pump was dead, the 30amp fuse and relay was also toast. Repaced the pump with a used one and drove it a little before doing a brake system bleed as per manual. Brakes seem to be working and dash lights go out. However, after bleeding I noticed that after it has sat for a while with the key off the brake fluid reservoir is completely full to overflowing and the pump runs for about a minute and a half on initial start. After the lights go out the brake reservoir is at the max line. If it only sets for 30 minutes or less the brake reservoir is at the max line and the pump only runs a couple of seconds. Even after everything is pumped up and brakes are working fine, with the ignition on and the engine off the pump runs for a few seconds after every two applications of the brake pedal.

I assume there a reverse flow valve somewhere between the accumulator and the reservoir. Is it in the pump or accumulator? Do I need to replace the used ABS pump, the accumulator, or both?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like the accumulator needs replacing. It is normal for the fluid in the reservoir to be higher after it has sat. The reservoir should be at MAX with a FULL accumulator. So leaving the Rover overnight and checking it in the morning isn't the way to do it. Make sure the pump runs and fills the accumulator before checking. It sounds like the fluid level in yours is fine.

The pump coming on after 2 presses of the pedal indicates the accumulator needs replacing. They are pressurized from the factory and lose pressure over the years. Causing your pump to kick on so often will just wear out the pump prematurely. A new accumulator is way cheaper than a new pump.

Check out this thread - http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38907. I just changed my accumulator a few days ago. I was having the same problem as you. My light was taking a minute to go out, and my pump was kicking on after 2 presses of the pedal. After changing the accumulator, the light goes out after just a few seconds and the pump doesn't kick on until 9 presses of the pedal.

Colin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts