RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got a new accumulator... So far this rebuild has cost me about $500. I might as well have bought a new pump... The used pump on ebay that was "rebuilt" is in the rover right now. I put the new accumulator on it, and the previous problems went away. However, the pump was struggling to stay on. The lights would go off but the pump would keep on running and eventually start sputtering slower and slower and then stop as if the pressure was to great for the electric motor to keep going. I figured it was maybe the POS pressure switch in the "rebuilt" pump. So I replaced it with mine that I know is good. Now the pump will hardly pump anything out at all. I have the Out going line completely disconnected and the brake fluid hardly trickles out when the pump is running. I am at a complete loss now and am extremely frustrated. I would appreciate any help and advice you all have to offer. Thanks in advance!
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
790 Posts
One possibilty is that the fine filter screen in the reservoir is dirty and partially blocked not allowing fluid to be drawn into the pump. You could try supplying the pump from a different source - rig up a Heath Robinson container to feed the pump. Bear in mind that the ABS pump is a high pressure but low volume pump. The fluid does not shoot out as you would expect when testing it.
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
790 Posts
Just to clarify the fine screen I mentioned is situated at the outlet of the reservoir and not the one in the filler neck. If need be the reservoir can be removed and the screen cleaned by reverse flushing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really am hopping thats all it is right now. I'm cringing at the fact of having to combine parts between the pumps to get one working... I really want this to be over... I just want my rangie back! lol. I don't have time nor the patience tonight to go any further, and it will have to wait at least a day before I can go in and clean those screens. Thanks again Ghur for all your help, I really do appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
865 Posts
Detailed pics of cut away reservoir on my blog ( below ) I would go new as the screen filter is really fine plastic

Blog is there for general info for all and on going updates added (time permitting),

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I need to buy a new resivour or just new screens?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
First symptom you described, w/ the pump pumping until the pressure switch kicks in. Could this be a symptom of a faulty relay?

Second symptom, using known good pressure switch where you just get a trickle. Could it be possible that the trickle may be OK? Of course, I suppose it all depends on how much you mean by a trickle.

Also, being aware that you've gone through ABS pump rebuild, just wanted to check the condition you saw of the impeller, bearing, as well as the health of the motor-Smooth rotation, or clunky.

Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Idk if the first symptom is because of a faulty pressure switch. I'm starting to think it was air in the system... If after all of this, and it still sputters, I will replace the relay. This pump was a rebuild off ebay. I did not do the rebuild. I did attempt to rebuild my old pump and lost an impeller piston :( which kind of forced me to buy a pump. I'm going to be doing more testing tonight before I decide to tear into the modulator resivour. The trickle I am describing is, basically like a faucet dripping water one drop at a time, hardly at all. Normally the fluid does come out slowly, but not this slow lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just pulled the outgoing line from the resivour off and no fluid is coming out at all... I would suppose that is the reason for this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
948 Posts
Well, I've just gone through my abs pump rebuild, and I was surprised by the amount of air that the system was able to suck in. Fronts went pretty smoothly, but the rears took ALOT of time to finally get the bubble free fluids. In my case, I probably took a good 6 hours to complete the job (w/o the abs motor rebuild - this was handled by a professional for a decent sum), where 4 hours was the bleed job. Of course, having my helper leave in the middle of the project, where I had to bring in another helper didn't help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course, having my helper leave in the middle of the project, where I had to bring in another helper didn't help!
Happens to me a lot lol. I always say "I need a volunteer for a special assignment" ;)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top