RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Well I bit the bullet and got a replacement pump/accumulator/relay kit after my recent pump failure.

Can you offer any tips for replacing both? Is bleeding the brakes required and if so can one person do it?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just went ahead and replaced both without bleeding system. All seems well at this point, ABS fault cleared itself and brakes functioning normally.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Best advice I can give when replacing ABS pump is to bleed system throughout.

Depending on year I would strong advise on removing brake fluid reservoir and replace, within this container there is a
fine mesh filter, it blocks up
If you dont want to replace I would at least clean is out but its not a easy task, drying out is another issue and art of its own.

Bleeding the system is kinda complex but not un do able DIY but if pump goes south you'll be out of warranty.
My supplier will now only pass a warranty on ABS pumps to customers if I fit them, he has lost alot of money cos the
system wasnt bled properly, air kills both the pump and modulator

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
viperover said:
Best advice I can give when replacing ABS pump is to bleed system throughout.

Depending on year I would strong advise on removing brake fluid reservoir and replace, within this container there is a
fine mesh filter, it blocks up
If you dont want to replace I would at least clean is out but its not a easy task, drying out is another issue and art of its own.

Bleeding the system is kinda complex but not un do able DIY but if pump goes south you'll be out of warranty.
My supplier will now only pass a warranty on ABS pumps to customers if I fit them, he has lost alot of money cos the
system wasnt bled properly, air kills both the pump and modulator

Thanks for the tip viperover.

Is it too late to bleed the system or can I do it now to avoid the problems you mention? I am curious how air gets in (or actually how it doesn't get in) into the RR brake system when following the workshop manual. I followed the manual and plugged the two brake fluid hoses (these had fluid inside) during the accumulator/pump installation. When replacing the fluid hoses, both had fluid draining out after I removed the plugs and the pump and accumulator had brake fluid as well from the factory. So this was the official procedure for replacing the pump but it still seems that even if both pump and fluid hoses had brake fluid within, some small quantity of air would get in anyway when the pump and hose plugs are removed and the hoses are refitted onto the pump. Why does this not cause a problem? My RR is an 02 by the way.

Regarding the reservoir, how complicated is the cleaning procedure you mentioned, and is it in RAVE? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Cleaning of the reservoir is not in the workshop manual, its a system I've come up with here as I've noticed way to many P38s brake fluid not being replaced, in other words very dirty and water contamination is clearly visable, this may not be your case.

I replaced a ABS pump on friday for a out of town customer on a 2002 Vogue and his container was good to use although fluid was old, still I drained it all and braking system front to back was flushed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts