RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided out of interest to open up my non working ABS pressure switch to see what it looks like. I doubt that the two switches are repairable or replaceable but it has helped me get my head around what happens in the switch and what goes wrong. Interestingly on this switch the lower of the two switches has failed and on another one that I have its the upper that is faulty.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Interesting, wonder which switch controls what.
Considering upgrading the Black relay in fuse box to a Ford 70amp relay, would prevent the dreaded relay jam that so
often happens on the P38 as the spring load on the Ford relay is way better in disconnecting.

Only small issue is what current the Ford relay requires to kick in vs the original as the switch you have posted is what
controls the 'Black relay'

I have a Ford relay and will soon investigate further along with placing a choke (Capacitor) on the relay to prevent failure
of above switch and burn of contacts within relay

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lower switch controls the black relay. In other words the switching on and off of the pump. The disc visible in the third pic bears directly on the torx screw on the switch. It requires a lot of force to operate it which is understandable considering the pressure the system runs at.
The top switch is similar to any old microswitch that most of us are used to, but obviously of a high quality and it talks to the ECU. Haven't a clue what they say to each other though. Something about lets see what we can do to really annoy the owner I am sure!!!

I have installed a very subtle LED in one of my Rangies that illuminates when the pump runs. If it stays on investigate before it is too late. The plan is to have a circuit that will light the LED if the pump runs continuously for more than a couple of minutes - should not be too hard to make one. The LED does not have to be too subtle then which may get missed on a bright day. (Have done the same for the EAS pump).

The black relay should be a component that is changed at specific intervals to prevent the sticking on problem but Landrover don't think so - they only recommend changing when the pump is changed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Cool, just what I was thinking about awhile back and offering to customers, Im going to be doing a top dash instrument cluster showing oil pressure, oil temp and battery volts, along with 3 LEDS showing ABS pump, EAS comp and low water level in cooling reservoir, though I would like to go a step further with digital and alarm/voice but I think it would be overkill...

Info cluster will go where that unused rubber mat is ontop of dash, adding a oil pressure sender unit is going to be the fun part, looks like a elbow bend union will have to be used to accomadate sender pointing down

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have thought about doing that a few times but I am a bit of a stickler for keeping things as original as possible. I would personally prefer something that fits in the centre whatsit box next to the clock. But on the dash will definitely make sure you dont miss the warnings and that is a better bet for those who may not be too observant.

·
Registered
865 Posts
ghur said:
I am a bit of a stickler for keeping things as original as possible. I would personally prefer something that fits in the centre whatsit box next to the clock. But on the dash will definitely make sure you dont miss the warnings and that is a better bet for those who may not be too observant.
I think on the Callaway or is it New Holland version they added the additional instrument pack as I mentioned, from pics I've seen it looked too big and could have been designed smaller, that liitle box space is an essential here in SA as I keep the gate remote (due to crime and car jackings we dont manually open gates anymore and its a bore)

I think you'll regret taking up that box space, ideal for keys, a pen or two and so on

I proberly will commence this little project soon as its something I miss from the Range Rover classic I proudly got rid of (only cos it was a rust bucket)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts