RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have an '02 P38 that I bought used over 100k ago. The "3 amigos" lights (abs, TC & brake) have been coming on when I first start-up every morning. Two go out after 15 to 20 seconds after the abs pump builds pressure and the third after I reach 5 mph. Is the abs/tc system supposed to hold pressure when the ignition is switched off? It has to build pressure each time I start, if longer than an hour or two.

My brake pedal seems to travel more than it should when I apply the brakes. If I do a quick pump after the initial application, the pedal feels much firmer and does not travel as far. I have had a few times when I do a quick stab of the brakes and the pedal travels uncomfortably far. I think I have seen a warning light come on in this situation, but I have not seen it since I replaced the accumulator. I used to hear the abs pump come on every time I hit the brake pedal, but that stopped after replacing the accumulator.

My first step, naturally, was to do a complete bleed of the brake system. I followed all 22 steps of the factory procedures to the "T". I drove for awhile and still I was not comfortable. Next, after reading a few posts on this sight, I replaced the abs accumulator with a new unit and again bleed the brake system. But, I'm still not satisfied. I raced cars on a track for many years and have a good feel for a solid brake pedal, the feel of air in the system and lots of experience bleeding brakes (but not on an abs unit).

I have noticed that after new brake pads are installed, and the calipers are retracted further, the pedal does feel much better. The problem seems to grow as the pads wear.

Is there a valve that might be leaking causing abs pressure to drop when the ignition if off? I don't hear the abs pump running excessively when the engine is running. Also, why does the pedal travel so far before engaging the brakes?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thx, Chuck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi All,

Unfortunately no replies to my original post...I didn't know I could stump the experts (haha).

I pulled the front brake calipers and sure enough, one of the guide pins was bent and seized. New pins are ordered and I will post if it solves both issues. I'm still not sure if it will solve the "3 amigos lights" problem, but it should solve the pedal travel issue.

Chuck

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
pressure accumulator could be dying.

look up audibombs on the internet. they can rebuilt the accumulator for you. i've had one in my vehicle for a few months now. works great. i always have pressure right away in the morning. no more waiting for it to build up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have you already inspected rear brake lines for corossion?
Ale you sure that system is free of air? Sometimes it can be tricky to bleed it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
IF you look up on the main page, I have a threat similar to this. I found that the "pressure switch" on my pump was bad and just reordered a new one. We will see what the difference is. I was told those 3 lights were supposed to come on every time you start the truck because it is the system checking itself. Mine (all 3) come on and then go off after like 10 sec when I start up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Chuck
To the best of my knowledge there is no non-return valve fitted into the pump system so pressure will normally bleed back through the pump itself and into the reservoir. This back bleed it very minute and slow and it is why the pump takes about 20-30 seconds to build up pressure again after the car has been sitting for a while (over night). Of course it is not noticeable while driving because the system automatically ´tops up´ the pressure as it is depleted by brake usage.

Having bent guide pins would certainly contribute to the pedal travel problem as the calipers are not sitting in the correct place.

Just some thoughts

Rowan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts