RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys help !!! did post on here before ABS kicks in when breaking and you can feel it through peddle have changed sensors and accumulator but problem still there any ideas as its driving me mad

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi thanks but don't think it is as when you drive its ok when you have done a distance but as soon as you have to brake regular abs kicks in and peddle goes hard and you can hear a clicking from peddle

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts
If you're triggering the ABS system when braking you will feel a pulsing through the peddle. That's what it does. Is that what your trying to cure? How often do you trigger the ABS system? Perhaps you're waiting too long to apply the brakes.

If the ABS system is activated remember the 3 S rule, STOMP STAY & STEER!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i do know that it pluses but its kicking in when braking lightly i nearly hit someone up back as it went rock hard as breaking lightly and you can hear from peddle like the abs is ticking constant when driving not good and i mean the peddle sounds like it grinding as you brake

thanks

dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you inspected anything else in the braking system?

Condition of brake pads and rotor discs?
Brake fluid level and color?
Leaks in master cylinder?
Were the replacement ABS sensors tested and known to be working?

You can help isolate problems in the braking system by pulling the fuse for the ABS. Your owner's manual and RAVE will both contain a fusebox diagram to show which one controls the ABS. With that fuse disabled you will still have power braking, you just won't have ABS. You won't have the pulsing and you can evaluate the rest of the brake system independently. And as much as this problem might make you want to peddle your Range Rover, some good sleuthing will return your brake pedal to normal.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
With that fuse disabled you will still have power braking,
No you won't, you might on some other cars but not on a P38 with a fully powered braking system. No power means no pump which means no pressure which means no brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi thanks for reply i have put new disc new pads pump is working fine good pressure taken relay out and breaks work no pulsing but its bloody dangerous when relay back in you just don't know how it going to brake there is sound coming from break peddle area like clicking were is the wabco ecu located could it be that ??

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
270 Posts
No you won't, you might on some other cars but not on a P38 with a fully powered braking system. No power means no pump which means no pressure which means no brakes.
Very sound advice. These beasts are lethal when the brake system is not powered up and active.

When was the last time that the brake accumulator was replaced? I reckon, the pump would be running a lot more, and maybe, just maybe your system is ever so slightly clogged, making the pump run a little rough. I know, for myself, I had vibrations through the pedal with the above factors in place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi mate i changed the accumulator defo getting the better of me this one don't want to fork out even more money it feels like when breaking at low speed like you had jumped on the brakes on a patch of ice

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Completely false. You can disable the ABS by pulling fuse 24. Common for folks off roading that don't wish ABS kicking in.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Not completely false at all. Pulling fuse 24 may disable the ABS but so will pulling Maxi fuse 3 and that WILL result in no brakes. The owners handbook shows fuses 24, 38 and Maxi 3 as being ABS fuses although the diagrams show that 24 also feeds the EAS delay timer while 38 feeds the headlamp wiper motors(?) and has nothing to do with the ABS at all. The only one that deals solely with the ABS is Maxi 3 and anyone pulling that will have no brakes. So anyone suggesting someone pulls 'the ABS fuse' is being foolhardy without specifying exactly which ABS fuse. Personally I'd rather have ABS (and EAS) when off road so wouldn't pull any fuses. In fact, when I did the off road course at Land Rover's place at Solihull we were told to allow the ABS to do the work, it's there to stop the wheels locking on loose and slippery surfaces, just the conditions you are going to find when off road.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
You are splitting hairs and I have no desire to turn this into a debate on the warrants of ABS. The point brought up is that you can disable to ABS for trouble shooting while test driving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts