RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, my 2k p38 is developing a drifting brake pedal, it has happened a few times while stopped where the brake sinks slowly and the trucks moves. this causes to either push further or pump the pedal to regain "pressure".
thus in my experience it means the seals in the master cylinder are failing, since procurement of a new ABS modulator is nearly impossible and almost cost prohibitive, I question. Does or has anyone offered a seal kit to overhaul the master cylinder/ABS modulator on the P38?
Suggestions, opinions, ideas etc all welcome.
thanks.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
157 Posts
I have all the seals and have rebuilt them before. It is probably not the modulator though. The system is unlike anything you have ever come across. The modulator is not like a master cylinder at all. Before you do anything on there have someone who knows the system look at it or invest in the operation and repair manual. Its a really neat system when you know how it works.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ed thanks or your offer and suggestion, let me know the cost of parts. I must admit I am a bit apprehensive of my diagnosis as I have never seen one of these units fail or act the way mine is acting, or have ever rebuilt one. In the last year I have repaced the acumulator, all calipers pads and rotors as part of maintenance I did achieve a good solid pedal.

last few months my issue with soft/slow sinking pedal has developed. I have worked on land rovers since early 96, both at dealer and independent local shops. I may put my self up to the challenge.
oddly enough I have owned a 95 classic since new and apart from rusted brake lines and a frozen caliper have never had further brake issues such as with the p38..
there is little to no info on the rebuild of these units, it would be greatly welcomed if you had any to offer.

thanks.
carlos.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
157 Posts
There is no info, parts list, directions... for rebuilding the modulator. I only have the seals because I bought a 500$ p38 and went about fixing every **** thing possible to be wrong with one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts