RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 99 RR with 172000 miles. Trans. was replaced along with front brakes and front dif. Afterwards the
ABS light is on continously (not on before). After extending driving (few miles) there is a "click" and little
less pressure at brake pedal.

Transmission will not go into low range (rarely use it but would like it to work).

Dealer says ABS module has to be replaced and that will solve the tranny problem, also.

Before I spend $1400.00 - I would like to know if that is the problem affecting tranny and did the brake work
cause the ABS problem. Dealer says sensors are tight.

I am not a mechanic nor very mechanically inclined.

Any thoughts appreciated - going back to dealer next week.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If this only happened after, transmission, diff and brake replacement,my money is on the dealer not refitting/breaking something during the replacement procedure :naughty:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Your dealer is dumb. They effed up a abs sensor somehow is my guess.

Your transfer case and abs are in no way related. For them to say otherwise would make me believe they're doing they're typical dealer bs and just throwing parts at it.

Have you checked that your TC motor is trying to shift it into low range? Search on the main page for how to do it.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Unless you're very lucky to have come across a very honest mechanic, my money is on your mechanic messing things up-And, not owning up to their mistake.

Similar thing happened to me where I went in for a T-case chain replacement for $1500, but the mechanic said that the transmission is also bad and require a full rebuild. That meant additional $4000. The thing is, I went in right away for chain replacement after hearing the machine gun-like sound, and the transmission was shifting fine when the truck was brought in to the shop.

During the T-case chain replacement, something happened where the transmission stopped shifting from gear to gear. I bet they revved up the engine while stationary for too long or something-They probably did something stupid like that, though I don't know for sure. Oh yeah, the shop had the truck for close to a month as well, to add insult to injury.

That was almost 3 years ago, and it was the last time I stepped into a repair shop for my RR service. I wasn't mechanically inclined then, but boy, once you pay out $5k to $6k for one repair, you learn quick to not repeat the same mistake again!

Anyway, good luck to you, and hope you come out w/your wallet intact.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kmagnuss said:
Your dealer is dumb. They effed up a abs sensor somehow is my guess.

Your transfer case and abs are in no way related. For them to say otherwise would make me believe they're doing they're typical dealer bs and just throwing parts at it.

Have you checked that your TC motor is trying to shift it into low range? Search on the main page for how to do it.

Tried the search cant quite find what your are referring to. When I attempt to put in low range the loud buzzer comes
on and lights on trans console flash and nothing happens. Dealer said ABS causes this. :?:

·
Registered
56 Posts
`) Oh boy! will that learning curve continue !!! get to Know this forum intimately as all the answers are here somewhere, its just that finding it can be hard.

Gordon

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Check transfer box speed sensor if all else fails, its located on top just behind brake.

ABS has nothing to do with Range change, problem could be something simple like air gap to big

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I attempt to put in low range the loud buzzer comes
on and lights on trans console flash and nothing happens.
The buzzer sounds and the light flash for 3-4 seconds when the transmision is moved from high to low and vise versa. At least it does on mine, I just tried it. Are you waiting long enough?

You probably are, but just in case------

Regards
Mac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gagamac said:
When I attempt to put in low range the loud buzzer comes
on and lights on trans console flash and nothing happens.
The buzzer sounds and the light flash for 3-4 seconds when the transmision is moved from high to low and vise versa. At least it does on mine, I just tried it. Are you waiting long enough?

You probably are, but just in case------

Regards
Mac

Yes- remained there for a couple minutes - nothing. I was scheduled for the 1400.00 replacement next Monday but
after reading this forum - I will not do that. I did contact the shop that installed the trans. and they will NOT provide me
proof that I actually received a " re-man" unit. They quoted some kind of confidential rules. :?: 1400.00 refers to the
ABS the dealer said was causing the tranny problem. I will be away from computer a couple of days but, everyone please post ideas for me. I plan on keeping the RR a long time. Thanks, Clayton

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
viperover said:
Check transfer box speed sensor if all else fails, its located on top just behind brake.

ABS has nothing to do with Range change, problem could be something simple like air gap to big
Maybe this could be very simple after all:
the ABS only activates when the car is going over 5mph/7kph. I seem to remember the transfer box will only shift when the speed is low enough.
Not sure if the ABS uses the information from the 4 wheel speed sensors or another speed reading to activate, but in the latter case, a bad sensor reading could explain both symptomes. And the cause would like be an error during the gearbox replacement (bad connection or not connected at all).
Reminds me I still have a DT sitting outside that wouldn't shift to/from low after replacing the clutch. I know the TC motor and wiring is good, because I can manually shift by putting 12V to the appropriate wires...

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
65 Posts
The transfer box ECU actually reads speed off a speed sensor located in the rear casing. The speed sensor if for automatic ratio selection. I cannot see any relation to the ABS. Unless, of course, you have a bad earth somewhere and it's causing your electronics to go haywire.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Ask them to explain the link between replacing ABS parts and fixing Hi/Lo range shifting.
Would be fun to know. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts