RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Land Rover Range Rover 4.4
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’m currently on a trip here in the UP of Michigan and in desperate need of your help. I have an ABS light traction control HDC fault and parking brake fault (however parking brake works with no issue) I am also unable to adjust the ride height. Just using a generic code reader (from auto zone) I get ABS sensor front driver is bad. However I JUST had this replace about 2 weeks ago. I also had a tie rod, ball joint, and an air strut replaced at the same time. I’ve got a place that can fix the sensor but I have a feeling that it’s not just a sensor that’s gone bad but it’s something more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is for a 2007 Land Rover Range Rover 4.4

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,194 Posts
Thats normal for a failed ABS wheel speed sensor, you should also have have the DSC light on as well (triangle with circle around it right ine the center under the speedometer and tach). Sometimes you speedometer will quit working (does that for either rear wheels anyway). Once the sensor is replaced it will clear all the codes and go back to normal. The sensors are a pain in the butt to replace, 9 times out of 10 they come apart taking them out, and some of the aftermarket ones have bad end gap measurements and don't read properly. The sensors are monitored for circuit integrity so it the light comes on as soon as you start the truck its a circuit problem, if it comes on as soon as you start driving its a end gap issue (sensor too far away or too close, or the ABS ring has cracked). I had to grind a bit off one of my rear ones (aftermarket) mounting flange to get it close enough to operate correctly. That was after swapping 3 of them and having the same issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats normal for a failed ABS wheel speed sensor, you should also have have the DSC light on as well (triangle with circle around it right ine the center under the speedometer and tach). Sometimes you speedometer will quit working (does that for either rear wheels anyway). Once the sensor is replaced it will clear all the codes and go back to normal. The sensors are a pain in the butt to replace, 9 times out of 10 they come apart taking them out, and some of the aftermarket ones have bad end gap measurements and don't read properly. The sensors are monitored for circuit integrity so it the light comes on as soon as you start the truck its a circuit problem, if it comes on as soon as you start driving its a end gap issue (sensor too far away or too close, or the ABS ring has cracked). I had to grind a bit off one of my rear ones (aftermarket) mounting flange to get it close enough to operate correctly. That was after swapping 3 of them and having the same issue.
Thank you so much for the quick reply. I’m taking it back to the place that just replaced it to hopefully have them install a new one. The weird thing is I drove around for a week then drove 8+ hours no issues. Started the car and bam! All the lights came on. And the lights are on as soon as the car starts. I’ll just have to drive a little old school on our way home with out the traction control and ABS

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Probably an issue in the connector hidden up behind the plastic wheelwell cover. Might have come loose, or maybe the plastic box the connector is in didn't get closed all the way and you got some salt and slush up in there. If it comes on immediately its a circuit problem, open or shorted wire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for all the help! Turns out it was just the sensor. Replaced it with one from FCP Euro and now it works great! The place I went to must have put a really cheap one in. And it was definitely a hard one to get out LOL

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If it was hard to get out after a month then they probably didn't replace it. Somehow the plastic body just seals itself to the hole its in almost like it gets rusted in the hole, a month old one should not be very hard to get out. I've never got an orginal one out in one peice. These and the parking brake ferrule that goes thru the back of the rear hub are the biggest pains in the butt to get apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts