RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ABS issue 95 classic

On a trip (of course) this weekend my brakes went on the fritz. Symptoms are either pump does not run after start, pedal remains firm and braking is severely reduced. Otherwise pump runs continually and braking seems normal, if not a little overly sensitive. Brake light is always on if pump is not running and sometimes off, sometimes on if pump is running. Fluid level is fine, no evidence of leaks and brakes had been working normally since brake job 4 months ago. Although the TC light has been on ever since I have owned the truck and apparently is linked to the RF sensor and getting it positioned just so will eliminate the light for a day or 2.

I take proper brake function seriously and want to get everything fixed properly. However, the prices for ABS components are truly frightening and I would like to get everything diagnosed correctly so I can replace as few parts as possible. I have RAVE but didn’t find it much help with my problem. Reading through old posts, I came across a suggestion to test the relays by pulling one and then switching with the other to see of operation became normal. (http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f8 ... ump-41666/)

My setup was not quite as that post. Mine looks like this - http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2x ... directlink .Pulling the lest black relay caused the pump to instantly shut off. Switching with the right black relay had the pump switching off about 30s after startup which was about the time it took before the problems.

I’m thinking my accumulator is going bad and that stressed the relay to failure. Current plan is to replace accumulator and relays with new. I’m just hoping I got to it before the pump fried but would appreciate any additional diagnostic help.

Thanks
Clay

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
I've been down this path too. Your diagnosis is probably bang on. Relay failure due to component failure.

If your pump comes on and runs and pressurizes the system, then I wouldn't jump to fail on it yet. But these things are finicky and love to fail so expect it in the future. If you start looking around now you may be able to find an ABS pump on eBay or from one the good folk who part these out, I'm partial to Paul Grant, at a cheaper price than new. I'm on my second pump (that I know about) I bought used and it is still going 3 years or more now.

I have replaced all of those parts at one time or another and I think if you start with the cheaper parts and work up you'll be good. Sounds like that is where you already started. Relay...accumulator....pump. Good luck and remember to follow the bleed procedure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the support. Parts ordered today. Less than $180 for the accumulator and 2 relays from gold coast rovers. Not as bad as I had feared. Hopefully it will solve my problems, I will know this weekend

1 - 3 of 3 Posts