RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit long winded, so I'll cut straight to the point.

The pressure switch on the ABS pump has an O ring gasket. I foolishly took it out and it came in contact with some penetrating fluid I had in a parts tray. The O ring grew in size. I can no longer put the pressure switch back in the pump due to the O ring being wrong.

I got an O ring from the parts store but he would not guarantee it would work with brake fluid as it was designed for hydraulic fluid. Brake fluid is that much different that I have to have this right or as you know it will leak.

The local Jaguar dealer said the pressure switch and O ring were no longer available and there was no description of the part in their system.

I'm experimenting with one of the O rings I bought and I placed it in some brake fluid last night. I fully expect it to be either gigantic or dissolved when I get home today. I'm going to leave it there for a few days to see what happens. Hopefully it will not be affected and this issue will come to an end. But I may need to buy another O ring. And I don't know where to start.

Where do I get the right O ring?[attachment=0:12lsl561]abspump.jpg[/attachment:12lsl561]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far the O ring I placed in brake fluid has not dissolved. Compared to the dry O ring, it did expand just a bit, but not enough to fail I believe. Perhaps just enough to make a nice seal? Who knows. I will check it again tonight when I get home. The experiment will run until Saturday.

Where are the chemical engineers/materials scientists when you need one?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miunk! Your google skills are unmatched. Thank you very much. I owe you a cold one.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
out of curiosity have you spray painted your pump?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jsp said:
out of curiosity have you spray painted your pump?
Yes. The logic of that might escape the normal mind. I know that brake fluid is a great paint remover. I think I have an illness now and the only cure is more primer gray.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
OkieRover said:
I think I have an illness now and the only cure is more primer gray.
Krylonitis is very real! I have suffered for serveral years. I find my self painting frame members, wheel well liners and even axles. My Krylonitis surfaced along with a serious case of Pressurewashtheshitouttaeverythingosis. It's a horrible combination and a never ending battle. 8-|=

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also find it easier to remember what parts I have ALREADY worked on. Everything that is primer gray or Rust-oleum primer gray I have touched and or worked on.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
thanks for the response, it makes good logic sense, both the brake fluid would strip it and hence a leak would be noticed, and knowing its been worked on.

At first I thought you had had a cheapo respray, I have seen several RR classics where they cant be bothered removing much from the engine bay, and they bassically put plastic over the engine and radiator and spray the hell out of the rest.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seriously? Laziness drives me nuts. Especially when I pay for someone else's laziness.

I wish I had a shop where I could do a frame off restoration. I can say I would probably leave everything in that gray color. I would seal it but leave it gray. The only other color would be desert tan. That is if they made desert tan in acid etch primer. I'm sure someone will now send me a link to a site selling acid etch tan spray cans, but its too late I'm already using gray. :hand:

I attempted to spray my brake calipers with acid etch gray but that did not work out. Not at all. I should have sent them to be powder coated but didn't want to spend more painting them than it would cost to replace them. :shock:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts