RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argghh this is killing only just got back from the garage last month and here we go again. Another problem :twisted:

Took the car for a 5 minute drive to the petrol station. Halfway there I get "traction fault" then when I leave the petrol station I get "ABS fault" and "traction fault".

Will it ever end?

·
Registered
566 Posts
This is usually a mileage thing as in how many miles do you have on this and has the abs been running a lot. Might be the ABS accumulator. If this is indeed low it works the abs pump more than normal and then you are really looking at big bucks. Just a thought.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today is looking slightly better..

I dont have the "ABS Fault" or "traction fault" msgs. They have gone, but when I depress the brake pedal I get all 3 of the little round lights up, ABS, Traction and the red brake one.

Is it safe to carry on using the car like this, or could it lead to something worse like brake failure?

Cheers

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sounds like accumulator to me. Buy a new one, screw off, screw on, done! (Of course you want to depressurize the ABS first, thanks Paul!)

-Coach

·
Registered
103 Posts
You know, those were the only warnings I got before my alternator died - I know it sounds crazy but something about the those sensors and needing accurate voltage or they trip. - at least thats what the dlr said -but you know the dealers knowlege level. $1K later a new alternator and never saw the codes again. Good luck with that.

-James

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,307 Posts
aztrorover said:
$1K later a new alternator and never saw the codes again.
-James
$1000 for an alternator??
Next time you need work done, call me. I can fly out there, buy all new tools, do the job, throw the tools away and fly back home for $1000.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Jim-00-4.6 said:
aztrorover said:
$1K later a new alternator and never saw the codes again.
-James
$1000 for an alternator??
Next time you need work done, call me. I can fly out there, buy all new tools, do the job, throw the tools away and fly back home for $1000.
I doubt it Jim! LR NZ quoted me NZ$1250 (~US$875) for an alternator for my '97 4.6. Fortunately I had an Extended Warrantee, so I only paid the excess of NZ$250 (~US$175). :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,307 Posts
I guess it depends on the alternator.
The 150 Amp version for my truck is $725+, the 120 Amp version is "only" $360.
And plane tickets are more than $200.

Still, 2 wrenches and two hours for $275?

I'm going to want kissed first.

·
Registered
132 Posts
traction fault

Back to the problem class!!
Voltage drop is surely the first check to make, and it's easy.
If that's ok, the next check should be the abs wheel sensors. The connections are sometimes dirty or the sensor works it's way out of it's location. There must be some sort of electrcal test too but I don't know it.
The wheel sensors control both the abs and traction control function and that's why both lights show.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Re: traction fault

pistonbroke said:
Back to the problem class!!
Voltage drop is surely the first check to make, and it's easy.
If that's ok, the next check should be the abs wheel sensors. The connections are sometimes dirty or the sensor works it's way out of it's location. There must be some sort of electrcal test too but I don't know it.
The wheel sensors control both the abs and traction control function and that's why both lights show.
Agreed. I had that happen once before. Also, check your battery... low or dying battery can cause weird warnings.

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a similar problem, when I put my foot on the brake for the first time all the warning lights lit. It turned out to be the Cruise Control cancellation switch on the brake pedal had failed. It is easy to check with a multimeter, there are three tags. It is located halfway up the brake pedal, To remove it twist the body, it is a bayonet fitting and remove the connector.

·
Registered
23 Posts
re the previous post,

I'll just add not to push too hard on the switch armiture, it is "self adjusting" to set for the pedal travel when first fitted. If you do push it too hard it will ratchet into the switch body and have to be pulled back out (which goes against the teeth) to it's full extension to adjust back into place again on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gsmith1 said:
I had a similar problem, when I put my foot on the brake for the first time all the warning lights lit. It turned out to be the Cruise Control cancellation switch on the brake pedal had failed. It is easy to check with a multimeter, there are three tags. It is located halfway up the brake pedal, To remove it twist the body, it is a bayonet fitting and remove the connector.
Hi, if the Cruise Control cancellation switch is faulty would the ABS be inoperable?

Still havent had the time to investigate further but I dont have ABS as breaking is not very good to say the least and I only fitted new EBC discs and pads 6 weeks ago. Also I get this little electrical whine whenever I press the brake.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Aquanuke
Not sure about the ABS, I didn't spend much time with the faulty switch in place to experiment, but I believe the Cruise Control would not cancel when the brake is applied. You possibly could not set the Cruise as well. The Brake lights continued to work for some reason as this is the only switch on the pedal.

I was trying to find a squeek when the brake pedal was applied and accidentally shoved the armiture into the switch body when I pushed it too hard. When I pulled it back out the contact inside broke away.
When the fault appeared I knew where to go. Btw the new switch fixed the squeek, but was expensive at $90Au for a couple of pieces of plastic with 3 contacts and connectors.

Cheers
Graham

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got round to doing this..

Got a used accumulator on ebay for £30. Took a couple of minutes to do the job. I pumped the pedal 30 times and got a spanner (20mm I think), theres a nut just above the thread, gave the spanner a little tap with a hammer and came straight off. The chap I bought it from even put a new O ring on.

Warning lights have gone and brakes work fine again. I put a 2" nail in the old one and couldnt feel anything, the replacement one only went in about 1" before it hit the thing inside.. so hopefully should be plenty of life left in this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Problem

I have been having the same problem. ABS fault, and Traction Control Fault. I figured it needed new bads as my brakes were squeeking a little. However I just went out to drive it and it won't come out of park. I will wait for an assitant to check the brake lights. Any other suggestions????

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
Make sure all of your pedal connectors are clean and firmly set. It sounds likt your sift interlock is disconnected.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts