RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ninja edit: This is on a 2001 P38 with 125K miles

I've been fighting with ABS and TC lights along with "ABS Fault" and "Traction Failure" messages.

Here are the facts:
The lights and error appear before even starting the engine.
Plugging in the ABS amigo reads codes and causes what sound like some relays to fire
The ABS pump does run but I've not been able to trigger TC while driving (I haven't tried that hard)
All fuses are fine
I reseated ans cleaned the relay
All wheel sensors seem fine (cleaned, re-seated and resistance checked (all between 950 and 1050))
All wheel sensors get voltage
Cleaned and inspected all connectors at the ECU.. they look fine
ABS amigo reports no "Active Faults" but does report 4 "Logged Faults": "022:ECU Gnd or Reference Gnd bad", "064:Front Right sensor electric fail", "066:Front Left sensor electric fail", "067:Rear Right sensor electric fail", "Front Left Sensor Bad Output". All but the last is almost certainly caused by me debugging.
This fault first occurred about a month ago and went away after I removed, cleaned and reseated the front wheel sensors. This was before I had an ABS Amigo, so I don't know what the problem was but I assume it was "Front Left Sensor Bad Output". The fault then recurred a few days later and has not gone away.
I DO have some minor brake squeal
OBD2 reports P1590 which I am unable to clear (or it keeps coming back)
There was a water leak that would come in the passenger side footwell (where the ABS ECU is located). The leak is now fixed.

Things I have not done:
I have not cleaned the ABS sensor rings on the front but as the fault occurs before even starting and moving the truck, I don't think that is related
I have not checked the sensor resistance at the ECU end of the connector but as there is an active fault, I don't think that is the problem.

My current working theory is that the ABS ECU is shot.

Have I missed anything obvious?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of info!
You are of course aware that the "3 Amigos" are supposed to all illuminate before the engine is started? Once you move the truck forward about 50 ft, they should all be out.......

If this is not the case, and they are staying on the whole time, then based upon your troubleshooting, I would say you may have corrosion in one or more connectors, or bad earth point (s)
Oh, and what is the "ABS Amigo" you say you plugged in?? Some sort of bespoke test rig??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should also mention that I've cleaned and tightened the ground points on the left and right side of the engine bay.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Electrical faults point to poor connections as Bolt pointed out. The error messages at start up are due to faults being logged on self test due not find the 2 sensors noted in your error codes. Once you clean the connectors, make sure the actual sensors are firmly seated fully. Do not strike with a hammer. place a block of wood on the edge of the sensor and gently tap back into place. Do not remove the sensors... they fit into studded sleeves. Removing a sensor means ruining the sleeve tension created by the studs inside the sleeves. The system works on magnetic pick using a hall effect. The castellations on the reluctor ring at each corner do not need to be spotless, but should be free of excessive buildup. If deicers are used in winter you can get scale in the voids of the reluctor ring which will give erroneous reading.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldn't the faults then be active faults? I'm confused because I never see any active faults, only logged ones.

-----ABS Amigo Box V1 RSW Solutions LLC Copyright 2010-----
|* The information provided is without warranty of any kind.*|
|* IN NO EVENT SHALL RSW Solutions BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR*|
|* INJURY OR DAMAGES resulting from or connected to use of *|
|* this Information or Product. YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY AND ALL*|
|* CLAIMS AGAINST RSW Solutions ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF *|
|* THIS INFORMATION OR PRODUCT. *|
--------------------------------------------------------------
1.--Current Faults---->
Active Faults:
None
Logged Faults:
022:ECU Gnd or Reference Gnd bad (caused by me reseating ECU connection)
064:Front Right sensor electric fail (caused by me reseating sensor connection)
066:Front Left sensor electric fail (caused by me reseating sensor connection)
067:Rear Right sensor electric fail (caused by me reseating sensor connection)
Front Left Sensor Bad Output (unknown... presumably the original source of the problem)
<-END Faults
------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ahh, so RSW has an "Amigo Box"?.....Sorry, I have always used the BBS kit.
In any event, can this box clear logged faults? If so, do so and see if it logs any of them again.
checking 2 earth points on a P-38 is known as "Just a start".....There are many to choose from and in your case, it could indeed be just about any of them. Get Rave, and work backwards from the ABS ECU towards each wheel, including all transitional plugs in the wiring harness. Look for scuffed, worn, or chewed wires in the harness as well. Since you mentioned water intrusion, you have had a moist environment near some plugs.........
Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was not aware the rsw amigo was compatible with the p38, it was my understanding it had been developed for use and based on the discovery which has a completely different abs system than the p38.
first I would locate a p38 oriented diagnosis tool, read codes and interpret accordingly.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have you tried the old fashioned way? Try disconnecting the battery, on either the positive or negative sides, and short the cables to each other. Do not short the battery terminals. Take the cable off of one terminal and short the cable end to the other terminal. That should clear logged codes by killing power to the ABS computer. Ray

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
"Hard reset" does not clear codes on a P38. It only does a great job of clearing personal setting like radio settings and seat memory programming. If you are really lucky you get to reset your windows and sunroof.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My ABS problems were caused by the sensors going short to the outer case - wrapping the sensor in insulating tape (and losing the copper carrier) made it work. Do you get 'ABS Fault' on the display when you turn on the ignition? In my case I did get the display error and pulling the offending sensor out of the hub cleared the warning. My code reader gave 'sensor X short to another sensor' type faults so maybe you have a different issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts