Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
40 Posts
Ok, Well my brakes are acting oddly. When braking in dry conditionings I can feel and hear the ABS engaging when it shouldn't be8-0= BUT in snowy slushy situations the braking feels perfect and ABS only kicks in when it should be? I have NO ABS lights etc and have recently replaced the ABS pump w/ accumaltor and PS, followed by fluid flush and proper bleeding procedure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine kicks in when the road is uneven although it doesen't need to but not all the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for chiming in peby, Ya mine kicks in WAY too much. And on a few times made me wonder if it'd stop in time..... I noticed today that it doesn't seem to do it when first go into drive and hit the pedal?!?!? I'm thinking of having my friend shop hook up to a massive snap on scanner that can report live data coming from the ABS system. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't able to get into the shop today. But I tried to pay close attention as to WHEN it was acting up.....Its seems always happen between 20-40MPH....Not sure if that helps

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
My awd van does it from 10 to 0 kms. Apparently there is corrosion at the sensor which messes up the signal. I have not cleaned them yet so I can not confirm this. I think there is some info on here about this issue for the rangie. First would be to check that all sensors are sitting properly in their sockets. I hope you find it because that loss of braking is not nice to experience. I think my brother pulled the appropriate fuse to disable the abs on his 99.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My awd van does it from 10 to 0 kms. Apparently there is corrosion at the sensor which messes up the signal. I have not cleaned them yet so I can not confirm this. I think there is some info on here about this issue for the rangie. First would be to check that all sensors are sitting properly in their sockets. I hope you find it because that loss of braking is not nice to experience. I think my brother pulled the appropriate fuse to disable the abs on his 99.

You know what fuse it is for ABS ??? My friends huge scanner doesnt have rover abs software I guess So it couldn't link. I would think if it was a sensor then I would get a ABS light which I'm not :( I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and send it to the dealer to diagnose

PS: I have removed all the wheel sensors, cleaned and reinstalled w/ no results

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Did you clean the reluctor rings while you were at it? Are you sure the sensors are firmly seated?

·
Registered
108 Posts
the magnetized wheel sensors collect tiny dirt laden metal particles which eventually degrades the signal being sent.

remove each and clean thoroughly before performing any other diagnosis. this normally clears up abs issues of this sort.

and the rings as stated above

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you clean the reluctor rings while you were at it? Are you sure the sensors are firmly seated?
I assume you mean the rings on the axle stubs?!?!?! NO, I have not. Can you share advice on the procedure??? (please dont RAVE me I get it, lol). I did be sure to set them as tight as I could. The 2 rears appeared to be way newer then the fronts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the magnetized wheel sensors collect tiny dirt laden metal particles which eventually degrades the signal being sent.

remove each and clean thoroughly before performing any other diagnosis. this normally clears up abs issues of this sort.

and the rings as stated above

I haven't tried to clean the rings as I'm unsure how to access yet and cant get RAVE to work on my pc :( I'm willing to try anything I can before giving into sending to dealer

·
Registered
108 Posts
to remove the sensors is fairly simple unless dirt has and crap has caused the sensor body to fuse in it hole. then it gets fun!!!
if as you state the rear looks newer then hopefully they will come out without drama.

each sensor is held in place by a single small bolt.

remove the wheel and look at the back of the caliper for the sensor wire. where it ends at the hub is the sensor.
note the fastener size and remove and then clean. it is simple whne they come out easily.

to clean the tone ring or wheel you will need to remove and hang the still brake line attached caliper out of the way.
remove the rotor
you'll see it.

give it a good wire brush cleaning, brake cleaner might help as well but usually just a stiff wire brush is sufficient

while you're at it ream out the hole the sensor slides into and apply some wheel bearing grease to the sensor body ...avoiding the magentic end which reads off the wheel. lubricate the hole as well. it will make the next persons job doing this much easier.

here is asnippet taken from the RAVE............it states to replace if removed. that will be your call!!

abs sensor.jpg

abs 2.png
abs 3.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts