RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Dallas. It has been a while since I have posted a question. I have a 2002 P38 with 85,000 miles on it. I need to replace the ABS Accumulator. I purchased one and just received it. I have gone through the procedure on this site and it looks pretty straight forward. I do have a couple of questions before I start however. According the the procedure posted on the site, they suggested using a oil filter wrench to remove it. Is that the best way? There isn't much room in there and wanted to see if anyone had other ideas/suggestions to remove it. Also the procedure had the air filter and other components removed to get better access, is that neccesary? Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One a totally different topic, I have a copy of the RAVE CD, but it is the free one which doesn't contain the service bulletins. I located the Range Rover site (topix.landrove) to buy a subscription to the service bulletins, but have some reason it will not accept my credit card. I will keep trying, but wanted to see if there was another source for the service bulletings. I was trying to access the squeak and rattle bulletins. Not looking for a freebie, just curious if there are other sources for this information. Or can I just buy an official RAVE CD with all of the bulletins from my friendly Range Rover dealer.

Thanks in advance for your ideas/help/suggestions.

David

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: ABS Accumulator & Technical Service Bulletin Questions

Follow the instructions on the site and you'll be fine. Only thing I have to offer is to have towels ready. I pumped the brakes more than suggested and still got a pretty good brake fluid "explosion" when I removed the old accumulator

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Chip, thanks for the reply and suggestion. Did you bleed your brakes after you replaced the accumulator? From everything I have read, you don't need to (despite what the manual says). I really don't want to take on bleeding the brakes.

Have a happy and safe New Year.

Cheers.

David

·
Registered
357 Posts

Gidday Dave.
When you replace the accumulator you will get a very small amount of air - 1 small bubble - in the neck of the new one. It is NOT possible to bleed this out of the system despite what the manual might say. When you turn the ignition on again after installing the new one this small bubble will be pushed up inside the accumulator by about 2500psi of hydraulic pressure from the pump and compressed to a minute size.

It is my suspicion that LR was afraid of being sued by some idiot who might get it wrong so they put this piece (about bleeding the brakes) in as an escape clause.

Rowan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Rowan. Appreciate the insight. I am still new to doing a lot of the work myself so I am always a bit nervous before tackling a new project and like to make sure I know what I am getting into. That is what is great about this site is that there is so much expertise available for us rookies when it comes to getting the spanners out.

Hope you had a great New Year.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
357 Posts

Your new accumulator will probably come with a plastic cap over the threaded neck (for protection) and possible a small amount of fluid inside the neck. If you feel so inclined you can use an eye dropper to completely fill the neck - about 2-3 drops - before installing it. This way you minimise the previously mentioned small bubble to almost nothing.

I forgot to mention that you can just use an open ended spanner on the nut on the neck to remove and install the accumulator. I think it might be about 14mm - I am away from home at present so I can´t check. If the old one is tight then just use a hammer on the spanner to break it loose.

Good luck
Ŕowan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Rowan, thanks for that piece of advice. I will try the open ended spanner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts