Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to take a long distance trip from Houston to Lake Tahoe round trip

Anything I need to get the Rangie ready for the trip?

So far I've changed the oil and bought new tires. Also had her checked out while in for the oil change and everything seems good.

Gonna be about 3k miles with all the excursions we are gonna be on. 10 day trip.

The biggest thing I am afrid of is all the rock chips I might get. I was going to order the front hood deflector but I don't think I will get it in time. Wonder if it works as advertised.

Any tips will help. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
Re: About to take a long distance trip from Houston to Lake Tahoe round trip

Just an AMEX card for gas and a loaded iPod!

The factory deflector does not really deflect, it more protects the front hood portion from damage (I have one).

Have fun and be safe!

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
290 Posts

The sad thing up here (in Tahoe) is that Cal-Trans has been using sand that is not as well refined as in years past (like a decade ago). Maybe an issue with budgets. No worries about salt, due to environmental regulations.

The problem is that there are higher quantities of gravel mixed in the sand, so our windshields are just trashed after 2-3 years. If you are lucky enough NOT to have crack during the winters, the glass gets so etched that its useless by year 3. Headlight lenses, grill and bumper finishes get equally sand blasted, but a good polishing each spring restores some gloss.

I carry a $50 deductable for windshields on our ins policies, where-as the rest of the vehicle is at $500. Its an extra $40 a year for that.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
63 Posts

The sad thing up here (in Tahoe) is that Cal-Trans has been using sand that is not as well refined as in years past (like a decade ago). Maybe an issue with budgets. No worries about salt, due to environmental regulations.

The problem is that there are higher quantities of gravel mixed in the sand, so our windshields are just trashed after 2-3 years. If you are lucky enough NOT to have crack during the winters, the glass gets so etched that its useless by year 3. Headlight lenses, grill and bumper finishes get equally sand blasted, but a good polishing each spring restores some gloss.

I carry a $50 deductable for windshields on our ins policies, where-as the rest of the vehicle is at $500. Its an extra $40 a year for that.
have you ever considered a windshield film? i thought it was stupid when owning an M3, but now that i've seen the angle on the RRS windshield, makes me wonder if i should...

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
290 Posts

I've never seen it for real. Took a while just getting used to the heated windscreen filaments. Does the film stay flawless or etched just the same?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts