RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
My name's Tom and on Sunday I will be purchasing a 1990 vouge se 3.9 auto. I have just found this site and you guys all seem helpful and friendly. I would be greatful if anyone could post a quick inspection list for me to perform before I pass over my hard earned Cash. I am not a mechanic so any explanations would be brilliant. I'm excited but worried I'll buy a vehicle that needs more than I can afford. Oh it has 12 months mot so is road worthy and has had an engine transplant that has done 66000 miles after the head cracked on the previous one.

Like I said I'm just after some once over pointers that can be preformed in 10/15 mins.

Thanks for your time I look forward to being part of the collective.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
Welcome on board! Read up on the home page issues and repairs for a good start. If you are really a nut job like me you can read every single post in your model section, but that's a bit over board. I would just start at one end and go to the other cleaning. You;d be amazed what repairs are needed jsut by cleaning. Keep a list... a looong list and just bump em off as you get em done. :thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Thanks for the fast reply :)
If you were a prospective buyer and had 15 mins to look this model over is there any pitfalls I should specifically look for that would make you walk away from the sale?

I'll get reading up.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I first was looking for my rover, high on my list was RUST, or, more specifically, lack of rust. Of the 3 I saw, I bought the classic with the least amount of rust possible. After that you'll want to be sure the engine and transmission are well, as those will be most expensive to address. Test drive it and see how it drives, any strange sounds, smells? Service records are nice try to get them, and see if any of the things I've encountered below were already done. Other things you can check, at least some things I've fixed/replaced:

Exhaust (from cat back). (old one was rusted out)
Radiator and all coolant hoses. (rad started leaking coolant a few days after I got it)
Tie rods. (excessive play in tie rods is bad, not sure you can check this without jacking it up)
Drag link. (turns out mine was bent/damaged)
Oil pressure switch. (a decent amount of oil was leaking from this $7 part)
Fuel pump. (preventative as it was original /w 110k miles)
Vacuum Leak. (the vacuum hose that comes out the intake manifold on the 4.2 and runs to an accumulator, then the recirc flaps? was frayed and had a big leak)
Belts. (all were dry rotted)
Tires. (dry rotted)
Rearview mirror. (fogged/degraded)
Blown speaker.

Still to do:

Diagnose and fix power steering leak.
Heater Core. (preventative)
Headliner. (basically its held up by the lights only at this point)
Replace bushings. (I'm liking the blue polybush kit from AB)
Oil sump gasket. (very slight weep not sure its worth fixing)
AC Conversion. (before next summer)

Other things to check that have so far been OK for me:

water pump
open up the oil fill cap and look inside it with a flashlight. Look for blackish sludge, if it has black oil sludge in there then some would say it hasn't been well maintained. This is a good generic guide:

http://www.samarins.com/check/engine.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looking for a Range Rover is a lot like looking for any other used car. Make sure the expensive bits aren't going to need repairs. Engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, front swivels, tires, radiators, air conditioning, and electrics are all important to check thoroughly. If you live in an area with emissions testing, make sure it will pass a smog check before you buy it. Cosmetics are important too, unless you intend to off-road the thing, in which case rocks, trees, and bushes will make cosmetics a non-issue really quick.

Have fun reading and searching.

Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help so far, it's really appreciated. Bellow (should) be some pictures I asked the seller to take yesterday for you guys to have a look at. I live 180 miles away so I do not want to waste my time and money.

The seller seems pretty genuine on the phone and this is what he sent me along with the pictures :

Ok, attached pictures include several shots of the whole vehicle. I have taken a picture of the only patch of rust on the car, located on the boot drop down, just under the egistration plate light, which subsequently was reattached, and has been done so solidly.
The car is mechanically sound and I have 100% confidence in the engine and underlying mechanics of the car. As in the advert, the only advisory on the MOT is that it may need a set of new bushes, but this will never fail an MOT and isnt an expensive job to have done IF you wanted to get it done. It doesn't affect the ride, comfort, performance or economy of the car. I have put in a brand new sony CD player with Ipod connection, the speakers in the car are originals and arent of the greatest quality. Other than that the car is totally sound.

So there you have it. Purchased my first copy of Landrover owner international magazine. It's all very exciting :D I am the noob of noobs when it comes to 4x4's I am a motorcyclist and could tell you anything you want about performance bikes but please don't feel like your patronising me. :thumb:

Thanks again for all your time and input.

-Tom-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts