RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time posting here.

I am currently looking for a 2000+ P38A because of the newer updates of the car. I found a great deal on a 2001 Range Rover and another 2000 Rhino Edition that is not as good of a deal. Here are there two vehicles spec and need some advice on which to get.

2001 Range Rover Tan/Tan (I don’t like the Tan exterior but that car is cheap)

What I like about the car:

• Looks clean inside out.
• Does not seem to have leaks under car or inside engine bay.
• OEM front and rear bumper guards, which I really like
• Cheap according to the market right now

What I don’t like:

• It is converted to Coil Srings (to some it is a Pro but I want the Air Springs
Feature)
o I am going to eventually convert it back, so my question is will it be hard to do it myself as I am planning to do all the maintenances myself, and what other parts besides the air springs will I need to convert it back? It is a dealership so they don’t have all the original parts if any of the parts of the EAS were taken out.
o Brand new OEM Dunlop Air Springs are around 500USD shipped. (or cheaper? If someone can point me to a cheaper place)

• 134K miles

2000 Rhino Edition Range Rover ( I love the Rhino Edition)

What I like about the car:

• 93K miles only
• Rhino Edition!
• Clean Overall
• No signs of any kind of leaks
• EAS

What I don’t like:

• About 3,500USD more expensive than the 2001 Above
• No Bumper guards ( will it be hard to get a hold of the a set and install?)
• No Navi CD
• Not as clean as the 2001

Also, since they are both from a dealership, how do I tell if the timing belt was change prior? Or is that even possible to distinguish from a new timing belt? Should I go ahead a change the TB right after I buy the car?

I know they will probably need a PPI before me making any real decision as to which one is a better buy. But from what I have stated, which would you prefer to have? Also, can I perform sufficient PPI myself?

Thanks for reading and would appreciate any advise.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I'm partial to the Rhino myself.

How much are they? There's no point in keeping it a secret...we all have one already.

·
Registered
640 Posts
HGL1668 said:
Also, since they are both from a dealership, how do I tell if the timing belt was change prior? Or is that even possible to distinguish from a new timing belt? Should I go ahead a change the TB right after I buy the car?
They Don't have a Timing Belt the Timing Gear is Chain Driven.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great to know that is it Chain Driven. :clap: So I guess P38A aren't that bad in maintenance afterall.

Didn't mean to keep it a secret but I thought there is a rule not posting prices, but the 2001 Tan/Tan asking for 5900USD, they can probably do it for 5500 OTD, and the 2000 Rhino asking for 9900. I asked that I am serious about purchasing the Rhino for 8000 OTD and they said they will call me back.

What do you think? I was thinking if I can get the Rhino for 8K OTD, I will grab it. If not I will get the 01 and drive it till I find one I really like, such as the Holland Holland, which I already let one pass a week ago. I need one soon because I am going to be doing a lot of snowboarding.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I paid $19K for my rhino with 89k miles 2 years ago. its a great deal. Im in Canada though and didnt feel like importing one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the Rhino will have a better resale in the future, say 3 years later than the tan/tan? Also, what do you think about the Tan/tan deal for 6k plus tax? The tan/tan dealer won't drop a cent.

Hugo

·
Registered
468 Posts
What do you mean by 'bumper guards' ? If you're talking about the brush bar then it's hard to come by and $$. If you're just talking about the light protectors then they're easy to get and not that expensive - say US$120 for front and same again for rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the pictures, don't know if they are brush guard or light protectors.

2001 Range Rover HSE Tan/Tan

2000 Range Rover Rhino Edition

Also, the Tan/Tan has four brand new tires, and the Rhino needs replacement soon in three of the tires.

·
Registered
640 Posts
HGL1668 said:
Here are the pictures, don't know if they are brush guard or light protectors.
It has Both

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts