RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been on my mind for a while and I thought I would post it. Some here may think it's stupid so take it with a grain of salt. I have always been around cars and engines. I have built motors and know what makes them tick. In my mind, it is important to allow oil pressure to build up before stressing a motor. When lifting the foot off the brake pedal after the ECO stops the motor, I like to wait a second or more before taking off. It's not much, but it allows the thin film of oil between the bearings and crankshaft to build up. I wonder if there will be problems with motors using this auto shut off in a few years with all the manufacturers out there using this system. The last thing I would do is floor the accelerator immediately after the motor restarts. The motors might last longer doing this. My .02

·
Registered
329 Posts
Does the engine need to be running for the oil pump to operate? I wonder if the engineers thought of this, which I think they would have, no?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
My escalade hybrid has autostop which is similar. That's why I use only Mobil 1 EP. Better yet dry sump lubrication would be best.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
243 Posts
i feel similarly. i like to time it so when the light turns green, i lift off the pedal. takes a second or two for the car in front of me to go, and by that time the engine is good to go...

·
Registered
437 Posts
i feel similarly. i like to time it so when the light turns green, i lift off the pedal. takes a second or two for the car in front of me to go, and by that time the engine is good to go...
I do the same thing... I lift off the brake until the engine restarts, but still apply brake pressure. Once the cars are moving I lift off completely and accelerate.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the engine need to be running for the oil pump to operate? I wonder if the engineers thought of this, which I think they would have, no?
The oil pump is run off the motor. It's probably not that critical. Just don't start like this...

·
Registered
746 Posts
I think that if the engine is purposely build for eco start/stop. The engineers would have though of this and make sure something's keeping the oil flowing. Otherwise, can you imagine how many engines they'll need to rebuild in a couple of years. I used to believe that constant cranking of engine would have detrimental effect. I think as technology move forward, our old school thinking about engines will need to be adjusted. Remember oil changes every 5k?

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
367 Posts
The cars with ECO have a different starter motor as well, about 50% more powerful and some sort of clutch mechanism in case the engine is still running when the ECO thing wants to "restart" it.

I read it in Topix - I paid for a couple hours access to the mechanic's manual to learn about a couple things I was curious about.

·
Registered
367 Posts
How much would you be willing to pay for a little mod that allows you to disable ECO mode permanently?

I'm thinking of designing a little electronic mod that reads the status of the LED on the ECO switch (juice or no juice).

If it's on, activate the microswitch switch to turn ECO off. I haven't opened the switch panel to see how easy access might be.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that if the engine is purposely build for eco start/stop. The engineers would have though of this and make sure something's keeping the oil flowing. Otherwise, can you imagine how many engines they'll need to rebuild in a couple of years. I used to believe that constant cranking of engine would have detrimental effect. I think as technology move forward, our old school thinking about engines will need to be adjusted. Remember oil changes every 5k?

-ThinkMac-
I remember 3K oil changes. I'm sure the engineers have figured there is no harm with the constant start/stops. Oil protection must be one reason the eco thing is not functional when the motor is cold and oil doesn't flow well. Do remember though that engineers have been wrong in the past. Remember the Cadillac 8-6-4 motor fiasco, the Oldsmobile diesel mess, BMW camshaft issues, more recently Porsches catching on fire, Toyotas unintended acceleration and probably hundreds more over the years? I'm just saying for my motor, I'm not going whomp on the gas pedal right after an eco restart. `)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts