RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I would like the extend my deepest gratitude to every single person on this board. Recently I became the unexpected owner of an 01 P38A Range Rover. Our first meeting she made me bleed, (Which in my circle of friends means you can officially name the vehicle) cuss, and generally steam from the ears in frustration. I knew then being the person that i am that she and i were destined for great things.

The story of Naomi

Our first meeting, she and i went around and around for hours between a dead battery and a finicky alarm system. I was not successful in starting her up that day. A couple days later I had her towed to my house after taking her off the grateful hands of a friend moving out of state. First things first, she needed a battery. With that, the key fob did not unlock the doors, turning the key to unlock did not disarm the alarm, of course trying to start the truck in such a state resulted in the famous "ENGINE DISABLED, PRESS REMOTE" message. I set off to google, and stumbled across RangeRovers.net. Finding that the door latch was the likely culprit, i acquired a can of electrical contact cleaner, sprayed liberally into the drivers door latch, and then tried the EKA procedure again. After a minute or two of turning, i was given a ray of hope as the doors locked. Continuing, angels sang out in an immaculate chorus as all doors unlocked with what seem like the millionth turn. Climbing in the truck, for the first time i heard Naomi crank. Out of gas! Filled her up and heard this monster roar to life.

After our first date, it was late, so i went inside, planning to diagnose the myriad of lights on the dash in the morning. As the sun rose i was in the driveway, wrenches, voltmeter, and contact cleaner in hand to diagnose this monster.

Issues were/are:
Drivers door latch one or more microswitches failed/fouled. Contact cleaner into latch allows eventual operation.
Keyfob desynced. (Thanks RangeRovers.net for relearn procedure!) FIXED!
Keyfob missing rubber buttons. (Will replace when funds allow.)
ABS Light Illuminated. (For some reason previous owner cut ABS Speed Sensor wire. Thanks RangeRovers.net for ABS diagnostic/location info!) FIXED!
Traction Control light illuminated along with Traction Failure on Message Center.(Related to ABS wire cut.) FIXED!
SRS light on with airbag fault on Message Center. (Thanks Forums! Loose yellow wiring under drivers seat!)FIXED!
EAS Manual on Message Center. (Thanks Forums! Found out i had a Coil Conversion done.)
At least 2 gallons of water in spare tire well. (Thanks Forums! Found TSB info along with confirmation of drain plug!) FIXED!
Exhaust leak suspected at forward gasket of muffler.
Check Engine light for security failure, ABS failure, and transmission fluid low/dirty. (Replaced and refilled transmission fluid, cleared security and ABS faults. Thanks RangeRovers.net for the fluid change procedure!) FIXED!
Drivers door interior handle link cable snapped.
Broken passenger side view mirror. (Previous owner hit a mailbox at 50MPH. Tough little bugger considering the glass is all that broke!)
Both front turn signals physically broken and covered with yellow tape. (No idea how that one happened. Will replace when funds allow.)
Headlight wipers not functioning. (Relays and fuse appear good. Not sure how to proceed.)
Passenger side tweeter sail missing. (Will replace when funds allow)
HEVAC LCD with pattern "Missing pixels" failure. (Thanks Forums! Found very helpful instructions and suggestions, plan to take a crack at it soon.)
Heated seats not functioning. (Not yet diagnosed.)
Leaking front right Axle seal. (Thanks RangeRovers.net for hub/axle instructions!)

Naomi and I would like to thank each and every one of you once again. Without your knowledge and kindness she would still be a lifeless lawn ornament. If anyone would like more details on how i managed any of these repairs, please feel free to PM me.

I think i'm gonna like it here,
Angel

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Headlight wipers not functioning. (Relays and fuse appear good. Not sure how to proceed.)
Passenger side tweeter sail missing. (Will replace when funds allow)
HEVAC LCD with pattern "Missing pixels" failure. (Thanks Forums! Found very helpful instructions and suggestions, plan to take a crack at it soon.)
Heated seats not functioning. (Not yet diagnosed.)
Leaking front right Axle seal. (Thanks RangeRovers.net for hub/axle instructions!)
Headlamp wipers may be functioning, you just haven't met the right conditions yet. They will only operate on every other use of the windscreen washers when the headlights are on. You should get a squirt of water and a few wipes at the same time but if you never use the windscreen washers, the headlamp wash/wipe will never do anything. You will often find that only the RH headlamp washer squirts water because there is a non-return valve in the pipe to the LH one. These things clog up so no water can flow in either direction. The same problem affects the rear screen washer too.

Heated seats rarely work. Remember, you've got very thin bits of heating wire in the seats and people have been sitting on them for the last 15 or so years. They break. They'd last forever if people didn't keep sitting on them......

Front axle seal is something that needs doing though, the other bits are cosmetic so can be left, that isn't something you should leave.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I found new key fob buttons AND a new key fob battery on Ebay for $12 or so! A very cheap fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Headlamp wipers may be functioning, you just haven't met the right conditions yet. They will only operate on every other use of the windscreen washers when the headlights are on. You should get a squirt of water and a few wipes at the same time but if you never use the windscreen washers, the headlamp wash/wipe will never do anything. You will often find that only the RH headlamp washer squirts water because there is a non-return valve in the pipe to the LH one. These things clog up so no water can flow in either direction. The same problem affects the rear screen washer too.

Heated seats rarely work. Remember, you've got very thin bits of heating wire in the seats and people have been sitting on them for the last 15 or so years. They break. They'd last forever if people didn't keep sitting on them......

Front axle seal is something that needs doing though, the other bits are cosmetic so can be left, that isn't something you should leave.
Thanks for the reply Gilbert! I will definitely try those conditions to see if the wipers work. The seats are not high on my list, but they are on there as "Do eventually". I do agree that the axle seal is paramount at the moment. I just received the part from Rovers North today, as soon as we here in the rainforest have a dry day i'll tackle that. (Don't worry, Rover isn't on the road at the moment anyway.)

-Angel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts