RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the story of my car, worth a read for anyone familiar with these amazing trucks or someone thinking of purchasing one.

My very FIRST car was a P38, back in 2006 when I was 16. I have had 23 cars since then, four of them have been P38's. Best was a 2004 Honda S2000 with 6,000 miles tied with a 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe with 14k miles, and the worst was a 1973 Mustang, so I have had everything. Had another craving for a P38 after selling a Mazda RX8, and figured I'd spoil myself with an 02, low mileage a must. I found the car for sale by the original owner, a retirement planner in New Jersey who was all of 45 years old. When new it was his primary means of transportation, but not long after the car was shipped from New Jersey to the U.S. Virgin Islands where it lived at his vacation house. When I purchased it in November of 2012 it had 63,000 miles on it. Unfortunately, the original owner seemed to do almost zero maintenance to it. I drove it 150 miles home with a completely separated airbag in the front suspension which immediately triggered an EAS fault on the highway home. Rough ride.

Since then I have replaced the following:

EAS:

4 Airbags
2 height sensors
Valve Block
Driver Pack
ECU

INTERIOR:

Blend motors
Heater core O-Rings
BECM!
GB 4x4 sub woofers- originals were blown

FRONT SUSPENSION:

Tie Rod
Tie Rod ends
Drag Rod
Drag Rod ends
Steering damper

ENGINE:

New 4.6 aluminum heads!!
Camshaft
Rocker arms
Push rods
Headgasket(s)
Valve Cover gasket(s)
Intake manifold gasket
New hoses for cruise control
Spark plugs
Plug wires
Air filter

EXTERIOR:

5 new tires
Struts for tailgate
Side marker lights for front fenders- originals had broken plastic-they fell out of the fender
5 new OEM wheels- flaking paint on originals

Yeah...quite a bit, and all of the expensive stuff. I did quite a bit myself and also used a local indie LR shop for the other larger items. For example the heads...the original head actually cracked a piece of aluminum around an intake valve and chewed it up inside cylinder one for some strange reason. I purchased the car for 6,500 U.S. dollars, which was really quite high considering what it needed. I'm not a fan of the color, "white gold" with black interior which is so boring considering the options for 2001 and 2002. However, as I drove home tonight with new tires and sub woofer, I was finally absolutely ecstatic driving a low mileage p38. Pictures to come!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
look forward to the pics! it is a great feeling when you get where you wanna be with your p38! one day i will be finished with mine.. keep up the good work!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts