RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think tomorrow i am going to purchase a plane ticket, fly to London, drive to the Land Rover research & development center, and kick the engeneer that designed the heatercore square in the nuts! I studdied all of the information and now am trying to tackel the o-rings. Needless to say, it isnt fixed yet. And i am SLOWLY making SOME progress. Is there anyone on the fourm who wants to go with me?

I will keep you posted as to the O-Ring progress and the outcome of the meeting with the engeneer.

Charliet

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I'll go please oh please let me go, I would like to asked about the cup holders. 8)

Scotty

·
Registered
35 Posts
its the same guy who placed the coil packs on the Bosch 4.6.
Make it a good kick
David-
2 down, 6 more plug wires to go

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Copy and paste this into google maps - 52.189904,-1.48294

Good luck finding that man. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Rich998a said:
Copy and paste this into google maps - 52.189904,-1.48294

Good luck finding that man. :wink:
Just to clarify, there's no minus in front of that 52.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This guy was seen about 10 years ago. He was fitting cylinder liners into V8 blocks but as the job was getting too much for him, he shifted over to the door lock assembly and test area. I believe he retired and became a Higher Executive Officer in the civil service.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is "engeneer" a brit way to spell "engineer"? I would have thought it was a typo, but I it was written twice like that. I see you are from TN, but you never know with Rover owners. Good luck fixing the water leaks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant spell or type, but I can replace an o-ring! The job is finished. Here is what pissed me off during the procedure:
1. It had been done before.
2. Land Rover "Techs" did it.
3. The "Techs" cracked the panneling, left screws out, drilled holes in wrong places.

Now that i have tackeled the o-rings...i get to replace the transfer case chain. That job SEEMS straight forward. We will see.

I am off to have a beer or twelve (before i pack for London and a good nutt kicking).

charliet

·
Registered
701 Posts
There are several designs that I just do not understand the logic behind. The cruise control really makes me raise my eyebrow. Why did they not use an electric servo? Instead they use some unreliable vaccum system with pumps and hoses that leak. That and they just HAD to use plastic gears for the blend motors.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,425 Posts
lrscott said:
That and they just HAD to use plastic gears for the blend motors.
Designed by Valeo, not LR. How many people have broken gears in the motors?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Lets clarify a few things with a complex vehicle, while most people service their cars well some dont, why...
Here it is.

A service comprises of many things (this goes for any vehicle) the person who does the service needs to be someone who is interested in their job, sadly with companies having 'performance' quotas on the shop floor doesnt help so its get it in, get it out and gone are the days of taking five to really dig deeper into problems.

Most private garages will go the extra mile, I know I do.
For those who service their own Rangies just bare in mind time is a killing factor on any part, be it rubber, plastic, metal or electrics but there are ways to prevent and its called attention to detail, merely looking isnt good enough, probing and physically checking various items is important like slightly pushing on electrical connections can make a huge difference but on the other side pulling on the electrical connector could mean the end of the fine wires in the plug......time destroys us all even a rangie.....

Range Rover II was and proberly still is a very well designed vehicle, we'll see in years to come how many Jeeps, Mercs, VW touregs or what ever..., Porschit etc are around when the humble RRII like the classic is still around, even now I get asked alot on these great vehicles

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know how you feel....as a idiot, i find most of the systems on my truck are a piece of crap....just thank god these pepole dont design and build passenger airlines.... :pray:

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
viperover said:
Porschit etc are around when the humble RRII like the classic is still around, even now I get asked alot on these great vehicles
MMMM - dude. You'n I are off to a bad start.

I don't know how many 200k+ mi SC's or Carreras I've worked on and all in fine shape. These little cars will still be running years after the RRC's have succumbed to Inner-Sill Cancer (Or Front Wheelhouse Cancer)( or any other part that can possibly rust - Because-They-Will Cancer) or worn their dear little cam lobes to oil sludge. Or succumbed to electric ailments (even early 70's Porsches had more than 3 fuses). And the P38 - much as I like them - take the best of Brit auto electrics and combine that with the worst of Bavarian auto electronics - not a good combination.

I do love RR's, but they are NOT automotive nirvana. What you call Schit comes much closer.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
q-rover said:
And why is there no speed - for the CC, when there is + :think:
HUH? the speed increase (+) works just fine on my cruise control. When you press and hold it (+) the car decelerates until you release. Then it maintains the new speed. THen again you could follow the owners manual and use the (RES) button to decelerate and then press the (SET +).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts