RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Animals in the wild can always be a tricky thing. They can interrupt a trip and even damage your vehicle if you don't know how to handle them. I came across a very odd lesson this morning on this very topic.

Holiday weekends are meant for enjoying nature, good food, great company and above all else sleeping in. At the crack of dawn I was awakened from a terrific camping dream by the thunderous sound of elk hooves coming through camp. Well… okay, they weren’t hooves, they were paws. They were dang loud though! Well they weren’t exactly elk either, they were Cocker Spaniels. Never the less, they were mighty dang loud. Back to the story. So I get up to find my neighbor standing in the bar saying I have a problem with my truck. Oh, I forgot to mention the Cocker Spaniel paws were thundering down a hall, not through camp. It sure sounded like it though! My neighbour goes on to explain that he had just come home and noticed I hadn’t put the garbage out and was lending a hand. Hmmm, so okay, I am not out in the wild, but I do have a forest behind my house. Doesn’t that count? It’s amazing how blurry that line between dreaming and awake can be.

Anyway, my neighbour was sneaking in to get my spare truck keys because I had left my parking lights on. I think he is bonkers because I hadn’t been anywhere in my Rangie in a couple days and surely I would have noticed the lights on. Besides, my parking lights come on with the ignition, headlights turn on when I come out of park and they all go out when I turn off the ignition. I rarely even touch my light switch. My mind, what little there is at that hour of the morning, races towards a failing BeCM, shorted switch, or the neighbour playing a prank. Scratch the last one, he put my garbage out and brought the paper in for me and is too nice of a guy. I unlock the truck and looking through the window the switch appears to be off. Yup, I have a failing BeCM, I just know it. I open the passenger door and reach for the light switch and see it is ever so very slightly turned. Just as I turn the switch to park and back to off, I catch a small movement out of the corner of my eye. On the back floor is a huge ball of furr with fangs. I very slowly backed out of the truck and opened the rear door. The unidentified, HUGE ball of furr slowly turned towards the open door. Keep in mind this thing has fangs and is monsterous. It is easily the size of a golf ball! It slowly uncurled and crept towards the open door, jumped down and scurried off. My neighbor then has the nerve to ask, how long do you think your lights were on? I responded very calmly, it depends on what time the baby squirrel hit the lighting switch.

The moral of the story is never leave your windows ans sunroof open in the wild... err, driveway.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,131 Posts
:thumb: Got a few mice stories myself... wild life sucks.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
rtkraken said:
:thumb: Got a few mice stories myself... wild life sucks.
Years ago I had a track car, and needed a new airflow meter. I had pulled apart the intake plumbing up to the manifold and left it open (in my garage)for about a week while waiting for the new meter. Meter comes, bolt everything up, and start it---it dies. Wrench everything off again, check into the manifold w a flashlight and find what's left of a mouse nest in the aluminum intake manifold with baby mice sucked into all the various intake runners. What a mess. :crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
kmagnuss said:
I left my windows open one night here in FL. Got into a car drenched in dew and while on the way to work found out I had a passenger. A wolf spider about the size of my hand.
Holy Crap! I think that morning would have gone something like...

"What the... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk. CRASH!"

·
Registered
61 Posts
our problem here (cape town)is snakes(cobras)...they like to get into the engine bay for the heat at night.They make a nice mess of the motor when you start up in the morning.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I used to get muddy raccoon paw marks on my Discovery parked in my driveway, but they seem to respect the Range and stay off it.
Or maybe it is just that the Range is not in the driveway as much, as it spends much more time at the dealer's. :lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
LoL!!!

If we left our sun roof open where I live the Rangie would be full of possums partying all night long...

Then, in the morning you would have to hose the interior out cos they wee and poo everywhere :shock:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Ok going outside to roll up windows... :shock: :shock:

Scotty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts