RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the past several months, I have been researching aftermarket options for a system that could deliver CD/DVD/Navigation. I was looking to completely rip out the factory system and start fresh - an arduous, expensive endeavor.

The driving motivation behind this plan was the failure of my factory navigation unit about a year ago. I started the car up one afternoon and got the fuzzy static across the screen that would not go away. After fiddling with it for a while to no avail, I took it to Land Rover Charlotte to see what they thought. As expected they told me the entire system was fried and to fix it would require a complete OEM overhaul to the tune of some 4 grand! :shock:

Naturally, I said no thank you and asked that they merely shut the system off so that the screen would not come on when I turned the truck on. I presumed they used T4 or Testbook to do this. And they charged me for the service.

Over this past weekend, a tool kit arrived that I had ordered. It came with some of the bizarre tools to remove certain components like the head unit. I took the two U-shaped grabbers and decided to remove the Navigation CD unit in the trunk just to test it out. To my surprise, I found a disconnected unit. Yes, Land Rover Charlotte charged me some 150 bucks to disconnect two cable harnesses. :x

So, I decided, what the hell, let's see what happens if I reconnect it all. So I did just that. I fired up the truck and BAM, everything works perfectly like new. The screen popped up immediately with no dead pixels or stuttering. I was blown away. I guess there was just a static build up that managed to subside in the year+ I had the system shut off.

I guess it just goes to show you - never trust a dealership with a car not under warrantee.

Needless to say, I am quite happy. Now, I just have to re-order the Navigation CD's that I sold off.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ain't that just typical! You should go down there and give those responsible a right good kicking! Anyways, glad you got it sorted.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Im having readio sound problems as you might of read from my other thread, since I have NAVI, can I just swap my stock headunit for an aftermarket headunit and still be able to use the NAVI or no?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thats computers for ya.... I deal with them everyday, sometimes they act like they are fried, but a good reset and fidling around brings them back up 80% of the time :D . I'm still puzzled they charged you $150 to disconnect a stupid cable :? ... I guess cause doing that takes a lot of skill.... lol. It was typical of them to say "lets replace the whole thing". That is their solution to everything

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had trouble with my radio, dissconecting the battery for 5mins or so cured it. Computers and complicated electronic systems are weird things.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
This issue may come back again but lets hope not........
Range Rovers were designed around woman hence why they switch off, go into a fault mood etc
but then they do srping back to surprise us every so often

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
my previous P38A used to have a "moment" every 6 months or so where the whole car would go weird... engine would start ok but all electrics were screwed... headlights would flash, no radio or other electical controls would work. Disconnected the battery for a minute and it would all go back to normal.

This was the P38A equivalent of "take two reboots and call me in the morning" :D

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright sorry to revive an old thread but the problem has resurfaced.

I turn off the car one afternoon and when I turned it back on the nav screen lit up to show a blank screen with faint horizontal lines in it. :doh:

I thought maybe it would just resolve itself, which often happens with electronic gremlins, so I left it alone for a few days. When that failed, I decided to whip out the removal tool and take out the Nav disc changer in the rear. I checked all the connections and decided to disconnect it and leave the system unplugged to see if it was a static build up. Well more days have passed and I plugged her back up with the same result. I am at a loss. When it is plugged in the red light is on over the changer and it will eject and accept discs, just nothing on the screen. It was working flawlessly just a week or two ago with new 2007 discs.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to go from here. What else could I check? I figure the actual screen is okay since there aren't any dead pixels and something is being displayed, even if it is blank. I am leaning towards something wrong with the harness or the Nav disc changer in the trunk. Would diagnostics be able to see something I can't?

Thanks.

·
Registered
701 Posts
LCD monitors tend to have lines like that appear and go blank when they get old. I would assume the rr's displays would be similar in nature. It might just be a connection issue. You will probably have to take the actual navigation monitor out of the center console and inspect the cables and connectors. You might also have to open up the unit and look around. I hope you are familiar with computers....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts