RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a verbal agreement with a seller to purchase a white 2004 Range Rover HSE with just north of 140k miles. I ran the carfax and verified the vehicle has had only one owner since new and no reported issues. The dealership and I had been negotiating for a time and I thought we had come to an impasse on pricing. However the owner of the dealership called yesterday and said his porter had backed the vehicle into something on his lot and cracked the rear passenger tail light and would sell to me at my requested price if I would take it with the broken light. I am getting it now for $6200 ($2k below asking) and there are no check engine lights, no suspension leaks, etc all this per the seller. I will be traveling to inspect and hopefully purchase the vehicle in a few days so my question(s) are:

Is this price a good one?
What are the main inspection/test points I should look at?
How long should I take the test drive for?
Lastly any tips/suggestions on where to get a rear passenger tail light in the Dallas area?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
494 Posts
Price is reasonable
You named them already, but check the transmission in manual and sport mode. Also shift from high to low and back agin a couple times while test drving it.
Ask for all service records
As long as you need to feel comfortable with the purchase. Streets, highway and bumpy roads.
Ebay has tons.

Get and aftermarket warranty if you can afford to, well worth it for the 03-05 BMW built RR. If you can DIY you will save lots of money on repairs. Get an AllComms to talk to the on board computers to do maintenance and service yourself and just to help you when something goes wrong.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Tail lights are pretty cheap on Ebay etc. I think we have one on the shelf somewhere, but would have to check.
I am also in Mo, just North of Jefferson City. Should be home tomorrow, if it's near and you want me to hook the computer up to it to check everything over.

Martin

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I'd find a hill to check the condition of the torque converter... If you slow to 20mph mid climb and slowly accelerate and hear droning, hopefully the hill terminates to a cliff and you can safely just push it off. Personally I wouldn't get involved in a 2004 with 140k even if the dealer were paying me. If you haven't searched the forum that model year is plagued with issues. You seriously need to check everything... I'd even put the headlights on and stand in front of the thing to make sure they actually work vs flickering/flaring out. Check how quickly it rises from access to off road (if it even can.) I'd test the hill decent... I'd park it during the test drive, grab a sandwich, then examine if/how much fluid is making it to the ground... I'd adjust the steering column while trying to adjust the seat just to see if it can keep from catching fire. I'd pull the coil/plug covers off and see how much oil (if any) is pooling. They like to leak coolant from everywhere, I'd check the condition of the hoses and see how horribly it reeks of coolant after a drive. I'd pop off the rear kick panel and examine the nav equipment for water ingress... I'd make sure it successfully switches to low range... all the windows operate, the locks work, heated seats, windshield, etc etc.

Then again, some people have good luck with the 2002-2004 range rovers... Most don't though. I'd buy a 2006+ if possible, you'll save in the long run

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I doubt $6k would get the OP into a 2006 and later Brad....
We have had our 2003 for a while now, and overall it has been faultless. A few sensors here and there, and the vanos solenoids. All cheap parts and easy to DYI.
As far as the suspension, trans, etc, not a single issue.
Currently at @135k miles
Martin

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I doubt $6k would get the OP into a 2006 and later Brad....
We have had our 2003 for a while now, and overall it has been faultless. A few sensors here and there, and the vanos solenoids. All cheap parts and easy to DYI.
As far as the suspension, trans, etc, not a single issue.
Currently at @135k miles
Martin
No 6k isn't going to get you a 2006+... I'm obviously still bitter about my BMW powered rangie experiences. I could probably write a 10,000 word essay on all the problems I encountered owning those cars and working on them. When I see someone posting about a 2004 (even one with 10,000 miles on it owned by a grandmother) I immediately see 50 hours in labor and 5-10k inside a year. If you don't mind spending money and putting in the wrench time they're a good car. For someone who can't do their own work it gets pricy real quick!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Agreed. If I couldn't do all the work, no way we would have 3 of them under the roof so to speak!
I have spent more on the Jeep than her Rover though, so no real complaints. Initial fluid/filter change, Vanos solenoids, cam sensors. Thats it really.....
Did the bushes in the rear suspension earlier this year, but that is to be expected from over 100k miles and IRS. I have replaced more in the Heep than that!
Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts