1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 RRS 4.4L
116,000 miles

1. Shifting seems to be hard randomly, not all the time but randomly and it slams into gear (mostly when its hot outside.) could it be a tranny solenoid or worse?

2. A couple of days ago I got a HORRIBLE fish smell coming from the car from the exterior. Smelled like it was coming from the rear. Coolant? Brakes? Cat burning up?

3. Rear passenger window does not function at all. Replaced switches, checked for bad fuses... Switch lights up in the back where the headphone jack is, but the window doesn't not function or even make a noise like it is trying.

If anyone can assist me that would be fantastic or even point me in the right direction would be awesome.

I don't want to go to the stealership.

·
Registered
431 Posts
When was transmission fluid last changed ? I’d try that first - easier to use the 3rd party metal pan out there - research the procedure on this forum. I did mine at ammco- no need to go to the stealer. It is standard zf6 transmission the have on many fords. They can pull any pending codes for you to and reset the electronics if needed. Change megatronic sleeve while in there too.

For smell - sorry can’t help.

For window - I would open the panel and test for power to the motor. Could be bad motor. But there is also a control wire and I know there is an issue on the front windows where if that splice gets corroded due to moisture intrusion in the sill - resoldering those wires is the fix. I’ve never read about that issue for the rear windows however. Do all mirrors and power seats work ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

The tranny fluid was just changed about 10,000 miles ago because there was slight slippage but there seems to be a slight leak out of the new plastic OEM pan I got, from the drain plug. (dont know how, never messed with it before replacing) I might just re-do this with the metal pan soon. Also replaced the sleeve.

Yes, all mirrors and power seats work. Door panel correct? Is there a video or some type of guide on how to remove the door panel correctly from the rear?

Thanks

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
51 Posts
Not sure on 2 and 3, but mine was doing something similar to 1, and it was the neutral control switch or somting similar to that name. Fixed for short money at the local shop. Is yours sliding out of gear while driving as well? If so id bet that is it mine was bad, had to pretty much drive in sport mode or if i was in drive bumps would kick it N

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
....mine was doing something similar to 1, and it was the neutral control switch or somting similar to that name. Fixed for short money at the local shop. Is yours sliding out of gear while driving as well? If so id bet that is it mine was bad, had to pretty much drive in sport mode or if i was in drive bumps would kick it N
Can you elaborate on the "sliding out of gear" behavior? Did it throw up a transmission fault?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Abrupt, hard shifts usually in hot weather and stop and go traffic, in my experience, are frequently caused by fluid breakdown or low fluid levels.

If you are leaking trans fluid, it is likely your hard shifts when the trans fluid is hot is due to low fluid. Or perhaps, whoever changed the fluid did not fill it all the way.

The issue the other poster spoke of, jumping out of gear, is the result of a corroded shift linkage where the shift cable/rod attaches to the transmission shift arm. (It is a very easy fix ) However,that does not appear to be your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
For your window, have you removed the door panel and inspected everything? Does no good to throw money at a switch if the motor is disconnect, wire pinched etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts