RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have concluded there is a leak in my A/C system as I have had it recharged 2 times in one month and it gradually loses gas until, nothing. I think the leak is in the evaporator and I do not have the time or cash to tear the dash apart to replace it along with the condenser and receiver/drier, I already have other more pressing issues. It would be nice to have the A/C working at least for the summer.Are there any remedies that will temporarily fix the leak? Thanks for the help! :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
What makes you think it is the evaporator and condenser?

Have you had it tested? When it was last re-gassed did they add a UV dye to help leak detection? If they did get a UV torch and yellow UV glasses (I bought a cheap set off ebay for £2.99. Use this to look for leaks. The condenser is the most common - they seem to corrode in the top corner under the slam panel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My system was dumping freon back earlier this year. Turned out to be a loose bolt on the back of the compressor itself. When the compressor was running, you could see the oil leaking out of it. Torqued it back down, recharged the system, and been "chillin" ever since.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the system regassed by a local mechanic that I have used before and who does a good job. Unfortunatley the recharging system did not pick up on any leaks, meaning that it is a very small one. The last time I had it recharged was about a month ago. It leaked out after 2 weeks and that was the 2nd time it was recharged in the last 90 days. They did not perform the "sure fire" method for finding the leak because it would cost about $150 to charge the system with nitrogen to figure out exactly where the leak was. They did put dye in the system and could not find anything leaking in the engine bay which leaves me to suspect it is leaking in the evaporator. I plan on recharging it again but with a store bought kit so I don't have to pay about 3x more for the mechanic to do it. The kit said it had a "leak sealer" in it and I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Most undectible leaks are compressor shaft seal or access port valve leaks. Find someone with a good refrigerant sniffer, I use a Yokogawa unit that is spot on every time as well as trace dye.
Look at the hoodliner for signs of oil throw stains above the compressor area to help determine if it is a shaft seal.

Evaporaters seldom leak.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Evaporaters seldom leak.
I figured there was a reason that hardly any were for sale. I really do hope it is not the evaporator, I would prefer not to rip the dash apart. I am pretty sure they put dye in the system when they recharged it but, I don't know for sure. I'll look for oil stains more closely later tonight.

P.S. Nice Scooty Puff Junior lol!

·
Registered
40 Posts
lrscott said:
They did put dye in the system and could not find anything leaking in the engine bay which leaves me to suspect it is leaking in the evaporator.
If the condenser is leaking you won't see a thing in engine bay. In fact I just replaced the condenser in mine on Saturday - the only way I could guess it's condenser was that I had a drop of dye on my garage floor. It turned out that (as mentioned before) it developed leak in upper left corner and the whole dye was going down on the side of it hiding from UV light. But when I took the bumper out I could clearly see that part of condenser heavily oiled. I put new condenser, drier and expansion valve and voila - the system works (almost) as new.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I did look over my rover with a UV light and found out that they did put dye in the system. The service plugs had a bit on them leftover from when the put it in. My only problem was I could not find any leaks for the life of me!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

I have had a leak in the evaporator. The evaporator was rusted badly at the left lower corner and electrolytic corrosion had caused a leak in the aluminum. Probably caused by water remaining at the bottom of the compartment. I have to mention that the AC is always on whenever the car is driven and the heater never. I have even disconnected the heater hoses from the pipes towards the heater matrix. This might mean that it might always remains wet and caused the problem.

having to change the evaporator after 12 years is not that bad. In my previous local made car the evaporator didn't last the first year from new and had to be replaced under warranty.

Check your drains of the AC whether there is any dye coming out from the pipes.

Good luck

Jos

1 - 10 of 10 Posts