Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Quick A/C question for you:

My A/C is working fairly normally (but see note below), but on a long freeway cruise something weird is happening. After an hour or more with the A/C running at freeway speeds (70 mph+), the A/C stops working. Or rather the fans run, but no air comes out of any of the vents. It is as though a valve somewhere in the vent system has jammed shut. The fan controls still work, and the fans can be heard to get slower and faster as the controls are changed. The direction controls (footwell, dash, screen) still light up for manual override, but nothing I do makes any air come out of the vents. If I leave the car for 20 min or so, sometimes everything will start working. If I leave it over night everything works OK again.

Could something be icing up and sticking? Land Rover have taken a look and can find nothing wrong (but see my other post - not very impressed with LR right now)

Note: I'm a little suspicious that I might be down on freon as the air on the passenger side doesn't seem quite as cold as that on the driver side. Could this cause the symptom described above?

Thx in advance.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
If you press Max A/C does it do anything? This overides all other settings including anything that the auto function thinks it should be doing....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't remember if I tried that or not. I think I did, but can't be sure. Certainly nothing I tried made any difference.

Not planning any long journeys for a while so might not be able to recreate the problem. I'll check it out when I do.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
NickHowe said:
Can't remember if I tried that or not. I think I did, but can't be sure. Certainly nothing I tried made any difference.

Not planning any long journeys for a while so might not be able to recreate the problem. I'll check it out when I do.
Also, although it doesnt sound like the same symptoms - when my blower resistor was packing up I would be driving along and all of a sudden the fans would stop, wait 10 mines or the next start up and they would come back. Definately not your sittuation?

D

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
NickHowe said:
Hi All. Quick A/C question for you:

...Could something be icing up and sticking? Land Rover have taken a look and can find nothing wrong (but see my other post - not very impressed with LR right now)

Note: I'm a little suspicious that I might be down on freon as the air on the passenger side doesn't seem quite as cold as that on the driver side. Could this cause the symptom described above?

Thx in advance.
Could very well be either of those. If the coil is icing up, it'll block the airflow, just like you're thinking. This would be cause by the failure of the pressure sensor that should shut off your compressor when it gets to a certain pressure/temperature. Thermostatic expansion valve could be bad.

OR if the pressure R134 is too low or too high, it'll reduce the cooling performance, but then if pressure's too low, it wouldn't hamper the air flow.

You could pick up one of those R134a auto recharge cans that has the cheap little pressure guage, at the auto parts store or WalMart, and read the pressure with that, assuming you don't have an R134a manifold set (who does?). Or you could take it to a AC place & have them read the pressure. They're usually pretty reasonably priced for their work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts