RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very slow A/C refrigerant leak. Refilled in April, and now the temperature is not very cold. Same happened last year. Has anyone used these A/C leak sealer products, and what were the results? I've read conflicting reports about it on the internet, some say it's good for small leaks and can remain in the system to seal future possible leaks , some say don't use it.
Thanks.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
I guess it depends on where it's leaking from...

If it's leaking from anywhere under the bonnet (Condensor, compressor unions, receiver/drier etc) then it's easy enough to get the gas sucked out and replace the offending item.

If it's leaking from the evaporator in the vehicle or the expansion valve, then it's a dash-out job to replace it. My only worry with a sealant like that it what's it going to do to the likes of the compressor etc. and if in the future you need to replace the part, what effect does leaving the sealer in there - and can you get it back out again if needed?

I personally think it's better to fix the leak, rather than use a sealer - mainly just because the A/C system is a pain to work on, having to get the gas removed every time something needs changing, as it's not like coolant in the engine where you can dump it in a bucket and put it back in when you're done..

My 0.02... :)

I still need to get my A/C de-gassed again and swap the O-rings on the compressor as I've got a leak from there at the moment because I re-used the O-rings when I swapped the compressor over. Held for about a month, and then decided to leak on me... Will probably replace the receiver/drier when I next have the gas removed as it's probably never been done!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently, the sealer mixes with the oil so when the system is de-gassed it can be removed with the oil. The sealer reacts to moisture created when there is a leak and seals. I read this link which seemed quite convincing. Admittedly the questions were being put to the various manufacturers of these products. http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/ac_sealants_p1.htm

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And if I were going to go to the trouble of removing the entire dash I’d probably renew the whole A/C system to be safe, as mine is a 97 vehicle with over 180,000klm on the clock.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,219 Posts
The biggest problem with the evaporators (from what I've read) is when the A/C drains aren't kept clear, and cause a buildup of moisture in around the evaporator, which then rots it away (and I doubt that sealant would fix that!)

The sealant looks like an interesting thing alright - been reading the link you posted up. I guess if you've got a small leak somewhere, then it can't hurt to try it - especially if it is recovered with the oil...

I would be interested in seeing what their follow up article says (where they said they would be talking to people who have actually used the sealers)

Now I'm tempted to give it a go on my compressor O-rings... though for the amount of time it'll take to change them, it probably isn't worth it as I know someone who can do the gas recovery/recharge for me..

Definitely think a new drier would be in order if you were going to try the sealer - just to be sure...

·
Registered
253 Posts
The most common leak is from the AC condenser in the front of the car. Easy to replace, but you have to evacuate the system. Remember to order the two o-rings for the tubing when ordering the AC condenser.

And yes, you should propaply replace the drier also when you already has depressurised the system.

Warning: avoid the Nissens condenser it`s seems underdimensioned( thin wall ), even tough it looks nice. mine started to leak after less than a year in service, thats abit anoying consider the price of refilling the system.

Best regards Brage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts