RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--I had a new A/C compressor and dryer: and a conversion to the RU 234 system done last year in my 89 Range Rover Classic. My A/C works fine, but it needs a re-charge now. I purchased one of those over the counter freon charge cannisters, but was distressed to find that the nozzle on the cannister does not fit the re-charging nipple on my A/C system. I presume that it may need some type of adaptor to fit. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Tom Lovinggood

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
if your vehicle has been converted to use R134a and your charge ports are not matching the R134a head from the kit you have just purchased, your conversion has not been performed in a proper legal manner and or per environmental guidelines.
the shop or person whom performed the conversion had the responsibility to have installed permanent non removable charge ports, thus along those lines you need to revisit whom ever performed said task and have them do it correctly. the port kit looks something like this
a sticker similar this should have been installed.

https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/ac-retrofit.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello--I had a new A/C compressor and dryer: and a conversion to the RU 234 system done last year in my 89 Range Rover Classic. My A/C works fine, but it needs a re-charge now. I purchased one of those over the counter freon charge cannisters, but was distressed to find that the nozzle on the cannister does not fit the re-charging nipple on my A/C system. I presume that it may need some type of adaptor to fit. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Tom Lovinggood
Do you recall how much it was, need to do mine too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe that it was right at $1100.00 and was done by my local Land Rover dealer. It has worked well--just needs a re-charge.

·
Registered
235 Posts
AC systems are truly misunderstood.

Due to the harmful R12 etc they managed to create such a fuss about AC systems. These are not a complicated system if you take the time to do some research. There are a bunch of laws surrounding AC systems which are different per country and (US) state and typically there to serve established interests. In Europe they successfully conned the public into making this an 'expert only' domain meaning rip of pricing primarily. When I lived in Norway you could not buy R134A, but you could buy a duster can to clean your computer which was 100% R134A, even said it on the can, but because it was not for automotive use you could just empty it into the atmosphere. So you buy an adapter and fill your car with the duster can. How stupid.

When my (r12) AC gave up because the ancient compressor was leaking from the shaft seal recently, I purchased a new R134A compressor from Sanden ($200) and made some new hoses and correct R134A fittings ($50) then I flushed the system out to get rid of the mineral oil. Filled with PAG oil and fitted a new receiver/dryer and trinary switch. Vacuumed using my Harbour freight AC tools and refilled with 2 can of Walmart R134A ($4.88 ea). Perfectly cold AC running smoothly. Why would I need to pay an expert? you can learn this stuff on the internet in less than a day.

Anyway the R134A has a Greenhouse warming potential of 1410 meaning 1g or R134a has the same warming potential as 1410gr of CO2 (R12 is 8200). My RRC emits about 350gCO2/km, My AC takes about 720gr of R134A so after driving 2900km (1800 miles) I have done the same damage as venting my entire AC system. Nobody cares about driving 1800 miles - but really we should.

So you can't fix your own AC system while in the meantime you can drive 1800 miles while China started reproducing R12 to make insulation foam just that little bit cheaper and nobody seem to care? The problem with the environment is our entire lifestyle.

Rant over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
jrmynorcal
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing