RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '93 is pushing out ambient air so I believe I need a recharge. The sticker on the radiator frame lists an R134a conversion by Land Rover done with oil and the whole shebang. BUT the fittings are threaded like a Schrader valve, not the smooth quick-release styles I've seen. Why wouldn't they have replaced those valves? Did I really have a conversion done? Makes me nervous to shove in some R134 and there's really 12 in it. And to be clear, the valves I need to be looking at are on the compressor correct?

Thanks fellas.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
I would trust the sticker. It's conceivable that the dealer left this configuration to foil any attempts by the owner from servicing on his own. Cha Ching...
To get it right, the system will have to be emptied, the schrader valve cores removed from the present fittings, and new QD adapter fittings installed onto them. Then evacuate the system, make sure it holds, and recharge. Now you'll be set to "top up" your charge on your own as you please with the commercially available kits. If you're not comfortable with this, then take it to a service station and get the upgrade finished. This is the kit here:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MT8016.cfm

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd seem to be having the same problem. The compressor is less than 3 years old on my rig but the back of the compressor is threaded schrader valves. Also which valve is the correct side to be recharging? Passenger side or Driver's side?
-Karl

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
karl6109 said:
I'd seem to be having the same problem. The compressor is less than 3 years old on my rig but the back of the compressor is threaded schrader valves. Also which valve is the correct side to be recharging? Passenger side or Driver's side?
-Karl
When a conversion is done usually the valves are left alone and adapters are screwed on. You can buy the adapters at most auto parts stored in thh A/C aisle

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the low side adapter, screwed it on and tossed in a few cans (one stop leak) and it's been cold ever since. BTY you never heard this, I live in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot, Karl- it's the passenger side valve. The one that goes to the firewall/evaporator. Nobody knew this at AB, RN, BP or my local LR dealer. Guy at DAP pointed out the obvious, follow the pipes to the evap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks! this will save me some serious cash. Although, I actually was able to track down the guy that did the conversion on my truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts